Weathering

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Weathering

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:06 pm

By Tony Sissons.
Cab_Rust_Weathering_1.jpg

Cab_Rust_Weathering_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

modelmaker87

Re: Weathering

Postby modelmaker87 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:42 am

Keith Norgrove has been doing some Spring cleaning and found these pair of images posted in the P4_talk archives. I had forgotten that I had posted them until Keith asked me if he could move them to our forum. I can't even remember why I originally posted them, nevertheless they do need some text explanation, so here goes.

The rust spots I made using my old favourite - Johnson's Klear (Future in my house here in the US). I first paint my model with its final paint finish, and, as always, spray a coat of Klear over it. If I need this style of rust that has started eating into the metal what I do is prior to the Klear fully curing, (hardening) I take a pointed tool, small screwdriver works good, and dig and scratch small marks at random and leave the surface damage I have caused to dry hard.

Once the surface is good and hard, I usually leave the Klear to cure for at least seven days. I then fill the damaged areas with a diluted rust colour enamel paint. The paint will flow along the damage lines and channels and I have made by holding the model at an angle. As the paint dries I add a tad of dirtier colour, maybe a bit of black, and together with some thinner I mix it into the damaged area. Leave it all to dry and the result is what you see here.

Cheers, Tony

Return to “Painting and Weathering”