Micro Masking Tape

David B

Micro Masking Tape

Postby David B » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:00 pm

I have no idea what this stuff is like - I am just putting an order in for a roll or two, but I thought I would bring it to people's attention whilst I thought of it.

Micro Masking Tape comes in 25m rolls and at it's narrowest is 0.5mm. Scroll down the page - the tape might be off the bottom of the screen. Supplier is called Jammydog and in Reading.

MarkS

Re: Micro Masking Tape

Postby MarkS » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:36 am

I have been using Jammydog for a few years now, I picked it up a hobby shop that is primarily focussed on aircraft, armour etc..
I was surprised to see UK tape here in Toronto, so I bought a couple of rolls...

It is very good, sticks well, but not enough to rip off paint, decent edge. (With acrylic paint on brass models, tackiness is very important)
I use Tamiya for wide tape. (more than 5-6 mm), probably because that is what the shop carry in the wider sizes....
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Mick Bonwick

Postby Mick Bonwick » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:20 am

I, too, have used Jammydog for some years, initially for their whiteboard grid tape (used for creating track plans on mimic panels) and recently for this masking tape. Tacky enough to stick, but not so tacky that it removes paint. You have to be sure that the edge is very firmly pressed down to prevent paint bleed, but I guess that applies to all masking media.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:56 pm

Mick Bonwick wrote:You have to be sure that the edge is very firmly pressed down to prevent paint bleed, but I guess that applies to all masking media.

The trick with kabuchi tape is to rub the edges with a cocktail stick then seal them with Klear/Pledge/Future. It has certainly stopped the regular blodges I used to get, particularly on sharp(ish) curves. Although I haven't tried jammydog myself - just slice Tamiya to the width I want with a new blade - I'd guess the approach would work just as well with it.
David L-T

Return to “Painting and Weathering”