Cyano and paint

Andy W

Cyano and paint

Postby Andy W » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm planning to add some details to a few plastic coach bodies. The best glue would appear to be Zap-O foam safe, however, I've heard that superglues can have an adverse effect on a paint finish - even after a long while. Does anyone have experience of any adverse reactions using this stuff?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

MarkS

Re: Cyano and paint

Postby MarkS » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Typically, cyano glues will frost clear plastics (glazing). It will do the same with white styrene, but it is not so noticeable...
The way around this is to coat your glazing with Future acrylic floor wax, which does not react with Cyano glue.
I imagine that most acrylic paints are immune, but worst case (if gluing onto a pre-painted surface) could be a frosting effect that could be touched up.
Personally, I have not seen any reaction to painting over dry cyano with enamels or acrylics.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Will L

Re: Cyano and paint

Postby Will L » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Ealing wrote: I've heard that superglues can have an adverse effect on a paint finish - even after a long while. Does anyone have experience of any adverse reactions using this stuff?

I've been using super glues since I became aware of them in about 1970, and while it's true they make a mess of your glassing, I've never has any problem with paint.

Will

Return to “Painting and Weathering”