Vermillion

John Bateson

Vermillion

Postby John Bateson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 am

I have some frames to paint and the instructions mandate 'vermillion' (also known as cinnabar or china red apparently) for the insides.
While the base coat can easily be Halfords red metal oxide primer, can anyone advise the normal modellers paint for vermillion - the stuff I have is for buffers and seems far too bright.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Jol Wilkinson

Re: Vermillion

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 am

John,

I recall a recentish debate elsewhere about "vermillion" when it was allegedly used on early LNWR locos. The colour is question was described as a bright red.

Perhaps the vermillion you have to hand fairly accurately matches that colour, but that it rapidly became oil and dirt stained, making it appear much darker.

Jol

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:38 am

I recall seeing a WD on the SVR (Dutch?) which had all the insides painted a very bright red ...
I am hoping that the book from John Quick will be out in the next month or so, it will be a good addition to my library ("Liveries of the Great Central" I think).

The vermillion pictures that I can find seem to show that the buffer beam red is really a little too bright.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 am

Vermillion is a synthetic form of mercury sulphide, first appearing in europe towards the end of the Roman era and much used by medieval painters. It is a very bright red in its pure form, but is often eked out with the browner red lead pigment. Unless you are painting an engine to represent exhibition conditions then true vermillion would be as realistic as a Trix Twin driving wheel. It is hard to see how real vermillion could have survived the first running-in turn.

Tony McSean

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 am

Edit: the colour patches below were set up on a CRT screen, where they appear considerably darker and less 'washed-out' than they do on a typical LCD screen.

Here are a couple of vermilions:

vermilion-1.png

vermilion-2.png

Here are some Indian reds:

indian-red.png

indian-red.jpg

indian-red-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”