Compressor specifications

Steve Taylor

Compressor specifications

Postby Steve Taylor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm contemplating buying a small compressor for airbrush work. What should I look out for in terms of spec and what would people consider a minimum for reliable work as regards pressure/output volume/noise/price. At present I have no airbrush kit at all, though have used workshop kit in the past for other more industrial purposes.

Cheers
Steve

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Compressor specifications

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:41 am

I would suggest that if you can get to an exhibition where Eileens Emporium are exhibiting that you look at what they sell. Derek always has some on display and since he is also a modeller will be able to give you some sound advice. He will be at Scalefour SW and at Scaleforum.

Otherwise a phone call would be useful. He also sells airbrushes.

Terry Bendall

(with no connection to the company other than as a satisfied customer)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:02 am

Terry Bendall wrote:I would suggest that if you can get to an exhibition where Eileens Emporium are exhibiting that you look at what they sell. Derek always has some on display and since he is also a modeller will be able to give you some sound advice. He will be at Scalefour SW and at Scaleforum.
(with no connection to the company other than as a satisfied customer)

I would second everything that Terry has said - speak with Eileen's.

I replaced a clunky, noisy old compressor a year or so ago with a lovely quiet tank-equipped one from Eileen's. It's been an absolute revelation.

The two things that I would suggest on any compressor that you acquire are that it supplies a tank rather than working directly, and that it has an adjustable pressure regulator.

Both of these were features that I gained with the new compressor and they have improved the ease and quality of the spraying that I can do enormously.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 am

I started a similar thread in this section a few years ago, though it was directed more to the airbrush than compressor.

Derek at Eileen's is very good and helpful, but do research and look around as well.

David

Postby 45609 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:37 am

Useful things to think about when specifying a compressor.

How many airbrushes or what type of brush or gun will you be using? This will determine the capacity of the compressor you will need in terms of flow rate. The compressor specification will quote a max flow rate of air in CFM or LPM (cubic feet/minute or litres per minute). Most small compressors with max flow rates up to 1.4CFM (40LPM) can run at least two airbrushes. The problem comes if you want to run a HVLP gun, as I do. HVLP stands for High Volume Low Pressure and the gun is more like you would see in a car body repair workshop. This type of gun will need a compressor supplying a lot more air. The compressor I use with my gun has a maximum displacment of about 8 CFM.

There are generically two types of compressor pump. Piston or diaphragm displacement. Avoid the latter as diaphragms can split. Also in the piston category try to avoid anything that claims to be "maintenance free" or "oil-less". These two terms do not sit well with my mechanical sympathies and long term imply greater wear and difficulties in repair if it goes wrong.

You should also have a filter regulator and a moisture trap on the air outlet to your brush/gun.

I have 2 compressors that I use regularly. One of these I've had for over 15 years and shows no signs of distress after this time.

I'd suggest that you have a read of this page before going any further

https://airbrushes.com/compressors.php

HTH....Morgan
Last edited by 45609 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Taylor

Postby Steve Taylor » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:55 am

thanks to all for the input and apologies for the delay in replying - sometimes the internet on a phone is a bad thing - great for keeping informed in quiet moments, but hardly inviting as an interface when you need to say thanks. Anyways here I am behind a regular size keyboard and thank you all.
Morgan thanks for the link I shall have a proper read this afternoon when the dust from today's disaster has settled. It has raised a thought that i could put a unit capable of running airtools for the landrover in one of my bank of location cabinets out of sight round the side of the house and pipe through to my work area and to the drive for "interfering" with the landrover (thus making the compressor out of sight out of mind to the domestic management).

Return to “Painting and Weathering”