Spray Booth Article

waveydavey

Spray Booth Article

Postby waveydavey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:01 am

A few years back there was an article in either S4News or MRJ (or was it in both?) about a DIY build of a spray booth using a plastic storage box, extractor hob filter, a couple of fans etc. I've always had it in mind to build one of these to replace my present cardboard box and finally went ahead and bought the storage box over the weekend. The thing is that now I can't find any trace of the article.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Cheers

David
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975

rule55

Re: Spray Booth Article

Postby rule55 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:12 am

It's in S4 News, issue 143, 'Creating a Spray Booth in two hours' by Chris McCarthy.

I think I might make one now I've seen the article!

Tony

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 am

For future reference, that article could be found within 10 seconds using the Scalefour News online index in the members' area of the website, searching on the string 'spray'.

If it had been in MRJ, you could do the same using Matt Ott's index http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/issues.php?d=images
Rod

waveydavey

Postby waveydavey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:For future reference, that article could be found within 10 seconds using the Scalefour News online index in the members' area of the website, searching on the string 'spray'.

Hi Rod,

I did do a search in the index without success. Clearly I need a bit more practice in using the search facility.

Cheers

David

chris_mccarthy

Postby chris_mccarthy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 pm

As it was me that made the item and wrote the article you may want to know that it has performed perfectly ever since and proved very satisfactory to my way of thinking.

Saying that, and by the laws of such things, I expect it will now break down....!

Chris McCarthy

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 am

Crazy thought here Chris, have you come up with any "new and improved" items you would recommend to your orginal design. I keep thinking that I may need to build one eventually but as I have a double car garage which I use with the door up I am not so sure I need one. I don't think the domestic planning officer will accept the idea of spraying inside the house proper!

Wavey Davey and Rule55 can you put up some photos when/if you get around to building them?
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

chris_mccarthy

Postby chris_mccarthy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:32 am

Doug - can't honestly think of any change I would make to the original design. Nothing strikes me.

It just plods away when needed (not all that often in my case, as I don't do a great deal of spraying) and I scarcely give its design a thought. This suggests that I intuitively find it fit-for purpose.

My tests are, first, whether spray odours hang in the room after use and, secondly, whether or not I can see any signs of overspray on the adjacent wall of my workroom. Neither occurs - nor has SWMBO commented adversely (which is probably the truest test)!

Chris

waveydavey

Postby waveydavey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 am

I've made a start at building my booth. For some reason that I can't quite explain I bought two 80mm fans rather than the 200mm ones. If they don't suck well enough I'll get another larger fan to go inbetween them as this will be cheaper than buying two 200mm ones and scrapping the 80mm ones.

So far the cost break down works out as follows.

Box £4
Fans and grills £16 approx
Universal cooker hood filter £20
Metal mesh £6

So we're up to £46 already and I've still got to buy the 12v supply, a few electrical connectors and some foam board for the wings. All in all the whole project should come in at just below £60.

Hopefully I'll have some photos to post in a couple of days time.

Cheers

David

Return to “Painting and Weathering”