Lining instruments

David B

Lining instruments

Postby David B » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Has anyone had experience with lining pens, not bow pens, but those with a hollow tube nib like a Rotring or a Bob Moore? Any opinions, pro or anti?

David

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Lining instruments

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:40 am

davidb wrote:Has anyone had experience with lining pens, not bow pens, but those with a hollow tube nib like a Rotring or a Bob Moore? Any opinions, pro or anti?

Hi David,

A chap in my Area Group that is a pretty good finisher of rolling stock swears by (rather than at) his Bob Moore lining pen. He brought the kit in to one of our meetings and showed how it could be used.

Like anything it takes a bit of practice although he says that the results are much more consistent than a bow pen. I haven't been convinced enough yet to invest in one, but there again my loco builds are only just reaching the painting stage ;-)

I have used a Rotring technical pen before, to put the black lining on a Midland Railway panelled coach. This was pretty straightforward, and gave good results. However that was only with the black ink (over cream background) and I suspect that the coverage will be simply insufficient if you try less opaque colours like orange. I also wouldn't ever try to get enamels through one of these pens, as cleaning it up afterwards would be a nightmare.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:47 am

David,

I have used Mecanorma pens (from Freestone Model Acessories) and they produced some very fine lines when used with the Magic Color inks they sell. Although I did find, particularly with the finest sizes, that they tended to dry up after a while (days/weeks, rather than minutes) and Jerry Freestone had ink in his for months! They are supposed to have the ink left in them, if you wish. Jerry kindly cleaned them out and exchanged one of the smallest sizes to a larger one, to try and obviate the problem, but in the end I concluded that the warm atmosphere in my loft workshop was responsible for the clogging. I still use them occasionally, but have found that the ink used in a bowpen is better for me.

Philip

David B

Postby David B » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks chaps. Anyone else with experiences or opinions to contribute? I have an antique Rotring from my school days (hence 'antique') that I am thinking of experimenting with.

I can see the problem with enamels, Paul. What about thinned acrylics? I haven't used these in any way yet - my kits are queueing up outside the paintshop whilst the decorator has kittens trying to pluck up the courage to face them! Are the acrylics very different to enamels to use?

I presume you use inks, Philip, as I think I saw in another thread recently. What are people's preferences for these?

David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 pm

David,

I haven't found thinned acrylic paints to be very good for lining as they dry very fast - in the bowpen whilst you're doing it, which means constantly having to refill the pen and let down the paint. This doesn't happen so much with the Magic Color inks. However, much as I like them, I have to say that the inks do not last anything like as long as enamel in a bowpen; I once lined almost an entire Maunsell coach side in yellow with one filling. For a technical pen, enamels won't apply there. As Paul says, you'll never wash them out again.

However, you're asking about the technical pens so, to get back to that I'd recommend trying the 0.2mm pen to start with and see how you get on with a few basic colours.

Philip

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi All

I have seen good results with the Bob moore pen but just never got on with mine, I am going to switch back to a good quality bow pen. If someone wants to make a sensible offer for my bob moore pen id be happy to see it go to someone who can make good use of it.

PM me if interested,

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi

Has anyone any experience of these, at this price they seem like a throw-away. According to the blurb run on paint or ink...

Mike

http://www.mastergrave.co.uk/catalogue/ ... gory_ID=38

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Mike,

those look like older Rotring tubular nib pen I have. I wouldn't ever consider putting paint through them, if they are the type with the central wire.

At that price though, they are worth a punt.

Jol

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:44 pm

jim s-w wrote:Hi All

I have seen good results with the Bob moore pen but just never got on with mine, I am going to switch back to a good quality bow pen. If someone wants to make a sensible offer for my bob moore pen id be happy to see it go to someone who can make good use of it.

PM me if interested,

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

depends on your definition of sensible and what sizes of the "knib" you've got.

I normally use a bow-pen but have been looking at this version of the Bob Moore pen, which is considerably cheaper;

http://www.peterspoerermodelengineers.c ... o.php?p=14

Given the mixed reviews for the Bob Moore type of lining pen, I'm reluctant to spend a lot only to find it doesn't work for me.

Jol

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Jol

Thanks for that link, that looks worth while. I shall give them a go over the festive period and report back...once I've painted the 3 finished coaches.

Mike

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Like Philip I've had Mecanorma pens clog up, even though I store them the recommended way round.
I've taken to cleaning them with two techniques if they clog and the cleaning agent fails to clear it quickly.
First is a trip in the ultrasonic cleaner with just water, that will often work. If that fails, then I put a very fine wire down the pin bore of the tip; this could be anything as small as 45swg wire, and needs some fairly hefty magnification to see what's happening. The slightest piece of dislodging will then usually allow the ultrasound to clear things. Finally wash out with the "official" thinner/cleaning agent.

Nigel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 am

Hi jol

A lot more than the ones in your link

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Return to “Painting and Weathering”