Ultrasonic Cleaning

David B

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning

Postby David B » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 am

Good points re: washing up liquid. Not sure about car shampoo, though as I thought that had a wax additive.

What's needed is something to dissolve the last bits of anything greasy, so would pure soap flakes be the best?

I think I read of someone using isopropyl alcohol. Does this ring anything with anyone?

David

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:38 am

I use an organic cleaner in mine that you can get from Maplins and give it a rinse after, it only makes a slight difference really though. I've also tried shiny sinks in the cleaner which didn't really do much more.

I normally put warm water in mine and its pretty hot after a 5 minute cycle anyway. Multiple cleanings in an evening and the cleaner keeps the water quite warm on its own during the agitation.

The cleaners are great if used after every soldering session for things like a wagon underframe where you really can't get to the fiddly bits behind the brake shoes to ensure your flux is all removed.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm

But I assume BB sprung hornblocks are a no-no with their steel springs?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Ealing wrote:But I assume BB sprung hornblocks are a no-no with their steel springs?

Only if you leave them wet afterwards, i've cleaned mine with springing and wheels in place and just given them a shake afterwards before leaving them somewhere warm to dry.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:32 pm

davidb wrote:Good points re: washing up liquid. Not sure about car shampoo, though as I thought that had a wax additive.

I did say not to use the posh stuff...

I use the cheap stuff as I have to clean a lot of vehicles!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Painting and Weathering”