GWR 3521 Class

petermeyer

GWR 3521 Class

Postby petermeyer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:56 pm

This loco featured in my post on demonstrating the Hobby Holidays jig and my odyssey with this along with other 4-4-0's has continued. Most of the 3521's, when first rebuilt, received Dean Goods boilers. This kit came with a thick turned brass tube as the boiler. I decided it would be best to replace this. I still have an unbuilt Finney Dean Goods and I have used the boiler from that as a template before and used that approach again. I've made 3 previous boilers. Much to the horror of those in the virtual group, I said that I used tin snips to cut up sheet materials. This is the technique I am happy with and this is the result; any bending or rippling is easily squashed out be the rolling process:

thumbnail_IMG_1241.jpg

Holes were drilled for the boiler castings, handrail knobs and washout plugs. Then rolled in the GW rolling bars:

thumbnail_IMG_1242.jpg

Being a rather old PeterK kit, which typically came without instructions, it's quite a challenge to get it to work in P4. The clearance within the cab for the rear drivers is virtually non-existent so a lot of fettling has taken place in this area. I also opened out the holes in the spectacle front.

thumbnail_IMG_1248.jpg

I used the kit chassis which had the hornguides cut out and featured twin compensation beams which I employed:

thumbnail_IMG_1249.jpg

Herewith work in progress posed with tender which is a 2000 gal Mallard kit

thumbnail_IMG_1254.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian@Exton

Re: GWR 3521 Class

Postby Ian@Exton » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi Peter,

I will be very interested to see how you get on with this build. There were a couple of 3521 class 4-4-0s working on the Taunton to Barnstaple branch in the 1920s which I would really like to model for my layout of Dulverton. One, 3529, was fitted with the Dean Goods parallel boiler - like yours but with a Belpaire firebox. The other, 3547, was one of the class which was fitted with the larger taper boiler. Pictures of each are posted below.
3529 on Barnstaple shed (2).JPG

3547 at Dawlish.JPG

I suspect that scratchbuilding each of them will be a necessity - one of the challenges will be the bogie axleboxes and springs, which seem to be smaller than on any of the other GWR 4-4-0s. But I presume that you may have castings from the Peter K kit.

Kind regards
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petermeyer

Re: GWR 3521 Class

Postby petermeyer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:14 am

Ian@Exton wrote:- one of the challenges will be the bogie axleboxes and springs, which seem to be smaller than on any of the other GWR 4-4-0s. But I presume that you may have castings from the Peter K kit.

Yes Ian there are lost-wax castings for the bogie springs and axleboxes and they are smaller than others such as the Finney ones. The bogie wheels are very small. My wheelset is Sharman including the outside cranks.

in common with most 4-4-0's, currently my loco is a bit nose heavy, having built and added the smokebox, so I am working on giving it more adhesion over the driving wheels to see what it might pull.

Return to “Peter Meyer”