Sharman wheels

peterbkloss

Sharman wheels

Postby peterbkloss » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:31 pm

Apologies for resurrecting a topic that I'm sure pops up from time to time, and this request for comment is not very well worded:

I am wondering whether anyone has recently bought from the remaining stock offered by Precision paints and can comment on the quality of the product. I have used sharman wheels in the dim and distant past at a time when they were in production by the man himself and they were not too difficult to use then. Precision comments on its website that the moulds are badly worn, but from this its hard to tell whether that affects the remaining wheels in stock.

I am tempted by one or two specific types that seem to be available and not offered by anyone else with a alledgedly short delivery time, the 'cream of wheels' Ultrascale offers some of them, but with a very long waiting time.

The beauty of Sharman's wheels is the huge range of prototypes he covered: My interest is in:

GWR 4' 7.5" 16 spoke for early Panniers - I know Ultrascale offer this but is it worth me buying the Sharman version supposedly available 'now' or should I wait

GWR 6'0" 20 spoke 15" throw for the early Halls code SW-EL298 - neither Ultrascale or Gibson offer these and there are supposedly some S4 type still available ....

Comments especially from someone who has recently bought some appreciated ....

Mike Paterson

Re: Sharman wheels

Postby Mike Paterson » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:38 pm

I may be able to help. Below are two sharman wheels. Both are of the same type.

On the left is an EM profile wheel from the Sharman wheel works in Wales. So I guess they are 15/20 years old. The wheel on the right is a current P4 profile wheel which came a few weeks back from Phoenix Precision paint.

Both look good, both had a small moulding pip on the back. As to concentricity, sorry no idea as I have not spun them up on the lathe yet, I still need to make some tooling to check that.

I have had a look at some pug wheels and these are recent and compare favourably with some older ones I have.

20231126_182544.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peterbkloss

Re: Sharman wheels

Postby peterbkloss » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:39 pm

thanks for that, Mike, most helpful

Return to “Peter Kloss”