Quicky wagon conversions

peterbkloss

Quicky wagon conversions

Postby peterbkloss » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:42 pm

Following up my cryptic introductory photo of my workbench that showed a line of wagons in the process of conversion 'àla' Tim Maddocks, whose article in Journal 221 encouraged me to take the plunge and do some 'quick and dirty' conversions of RTR wagons. So a motley collection of ex Mainline, Airfix, Bachmann and Hornby with a few kit built additions are being assembled into a short-ish BR period freight train to work on my fictional Weston Super Mare S&DJR terminus. Being on a spur off the WSM loop line, I originally did not envisige any freight at all, but now having a bit more space than originally, a small 'town yard' is feasible, and the possibility of a through running line in the layout's new location means that transfer freights as well as pick-up goods are possible workings. So here are a few shots of 'works in progress', the work being done limited to re-wheeling, adding weight, replacing the buffers with metal ones adding Dingham couplings and some paint and eventual weathering. Almost all need some numbers added!

Here are the wagons converted so far on my slidy fiddleyard: The SR brakevan is an old Cambrian kit picked up (unassembled) at an exhibition member sales and has compensation. The rest are RTR conversions, all rigid. The one in the front still needs its buffers painting and is a special with Dingham loops at both ends (I'll explain why later). Towed they work fine. Pushing yet to be properly tested

wagonrakeonfiddleyd-2.jpg

And lined up in a short rake for test running hauled by my trusty 3FT (Wrong line!!)

short-freight-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Peter Kloss”