GWR E140 B-Set Airfix upgrade

tmcsean

Re: GWR E140 B-Set Airfix upgrade

Postby tmcsean » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:17 pm

Don;t despair - not everything that is announced is actually delivered in less than glacial speed.

Tony

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:39 pm

I had a chat with the Rapido guys at Warley. The coaches are in for tooling at the moment.
I shall order a couple of sets and will consign my old Airfix coaches to the bring and buy.

peterbkloss

Postby peterbkloss » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:58 pm

John Palmer wrote:
Tim V wrote:The K's set was an E116.
Oh, was it? Sorry, my mistake! Sadly I never got round to assembling mine.

I believe E129s were the first B-Set design to find regular employment on the S&D in 1959, although I'm now wondering whether I've mis-identified these and that they were instead of the E116 variety. Need to look further into that...

This question caused me to look through my collection of 'photo' books of the S&D (by this I mean published books of photographs). R C Riley was at Highbridge and Evercreech Junction in July 1959 and captured what appears to be an E129 set in several shots, but so far I've not seen an E116 pair in any of the views I have of 'the branch', (not saying that never happened though). Branch trains aren't a big feature in the books of GWR subjects I have and among them there only three I could categorically say were photos of E116 sets and none near the S&D, apart from one crossing on the Strawberry line at Shepton Mallet. Back to the S&D, photos in my books taken from 1960 onwards show E145 B-Sets until almost all NC stock was swept away (1963 ish?) ... I shall keep looking and updatewith what I find (I've an old K's E116 pair waiting to be built too)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:37 am

E116 flat ends with originally no buffers between the ends.

E129 bow ends with originally no buffers between the ends.

E140/145 Bow ends with buffers.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:34 pm

peterbkloss wrote:This question caused me to look through my collection of 'photo' books of the S&D (by this I mean published books of photographs). R C Riley was at Highbridge and Evercreech Junction in July 1959 and captured what appears to be an E129 set in several shots, but so far I've not seen an E116 pair in any of the views I have of 'the branch', (not saying that never happened though). Branch trains aren't a big feature in the books of GWR subjects I have and among them there only three I could categorically say were photos of E116 sets and none near the S&D, apart from one crossing on the Strawberry line at Shepton Mallet. Back to the S&D, photos in my books taken from 1960 onwards show E145 B-Sets until almost all NC stock was swept away (1963 ish?) ... I shall keep looking and updatewith what I find (I've an old K's E116 pair waiting to be built too)

Your findings on this subject and mine correspond closely. All B-Sets on the Branch to Highbridge that I have seen in 1959 pictures have been of the E129 variety, and in the case of one of the pictures taken by Dick Riley at Evercreech Jc North Box on 6 July 1959 reveal one to have included W6561W, presumably paired with W6563W to form Bristol Division No.11.

I agree that the available photographs suggest that from 1963 onwards the employment of non-gangwayed carriages on Branch trains became increasingly uncommon, although there is a Norman Lockett picture taken at West Pennard as late as September 1963 of a 2-set (not a B-Set) formed of ex-GW non-gangwayed vehicles. I haven't been able to discern a particular pattern in the allocation of carriages to Branch services from 1963 to closure, save that changes seem to have been remarkably frequent, and that there is probably a slight predominance of GWR designs in the new arrivals. Some are commonplace; for example there seem to be plenty of pictures taken in 1965 of the Hawksworth brake composites (everyone flocking to the S&D for a 'last glimpse'), but plenty of other GW carriage designs also served a spell on Branch services. Prompted by your post to review the pictures of those services that are available to me, I think I have today pinned down comparatively uncommon appearances by a Diag. C81 gangwayed third (July 1964, Norman Lockett picture) and a Diag. E159 brake composite (November 1965, Hugh Ballantyne pictures).

Quite apart from the difficulty of correctly identifying the various designs involved from foreshortened views of them in photographs, the turnover of Branch coaching stock in the 1960s seems to have been so rapid that an understanding of it may only be possible after carrying out a systematic exercise of identifying and recording what those photographs disclose, perhaps using a database whose records can subsequently be interrogated by SQL queries to see what patterns (if any!) emerge.

peterbkloss

Postby peterbkloss » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:23 pm

John Palmer wrote:
peterbkloss wrote:This question caused me to look through my collection of 'photo' books of the S&D (by this I mean published books of photographs). R C Riley was at Highbridge and Evercreech Junction in July 1959 and captured what appears to be an E129 set in several shots, but so far I've not seen an E116 pair in any of the views I have of 'the branch', (not saying that never happened though). Branch trains aren't a big feature in the books of GWR subjects I have and among them there only three I could categorically say were photos of E116 sets and none near the S&D, apart from one crossing on the Strawberry line at Shepton Mallet. Back to the S&D, photos in my books taken from 1960 onwards show E145 B-Sets until almost all NC stock was swept away (1963 ish?) ... I shall keep looking and updatewith what I find (I've an old K's E116 pair waiting to be built too)

Your findings on this subject and mine correspond closely. All B-Sets on the Branch to Highbridge that I have seen in 1959 pictures have been of the E129 variety, and in the case of one of the pictures taken by Dick Riley at Evercreech Jc North Box on 6 July 1959 reveal one to have included W6561W, presumably paired with W6563W to form Bristol Division No.11.

I agree that the available photographs suggest that from 1963 onwards the employment of non-gangwayed carriages on Branch trains became increasingly uncommon, although there is a Norman Lockett picture taken at West Pennard as late as September 1963 of a 2-set (not a B-Set) formed of ex-GW non-gangwayed vehicles. I haven't been able to discern a particular pattern in the allocation of carriages to Branch services from 1963 to closure, save that changes seem to have been remarkably frequent, and that there is probably a slight predominance of GWR designs in the new arrivals. Some are commonplace; for example there seem to be plenty of pictures taken in 1965 of the Hawksworth brake composites (everyone flocking to the S&D for a 'last glimpse'), but plenty of other GW carriage designs also served a spell on Branch services. Prompted by your post to review the pictures of those services that are available to me, I think I have today pinned down comparatively uncommon appearances by a Diag. C81 gangwayed third (July 1964, Norman Lockett picture) and a Diag. E159 brake composite (November 1965, Hugh Ballantyne pictures).

Quite apart from the difficulty of correctly identifying the various designs involved from foreshortened views of them in photographs, the turnover of Branch coaching stock in the 1960s seems to have been so rapid that an understanding of it may only be possible after carrying out a systematic exercise of identifying and recording what those photographs disclose, perhaps using a database whose records can subsequently be interrogated by SQL queries to see what patterns (if any!) emerge.

Well done John for deciphering the number! I tried but non of the prints in my book are large enough

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:38 pm

I don't have much on the S&D but found that picture of the E129 at Evercreech. Luckily in my B-set collection, I have an E129!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

peterbkloss

Postby peterbkloss » Tue May 09, 2023 7:39 pm

My poor 'old' B-set still lacks windows but is being used to test the trackwork on the layout. Here it is being towed by my even older Jinty. It almost falls off at one point ....

(my first attempt at linking a youtube video...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4faXrqpppD4

my attention has been diverted from finishing it by trying to fix my trackwork and starting a layout thread so I can actually build and run some locos ...

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue May 09, 2023 8:45 pm

peterbkloss wrote:(my first attempt at linking a youtube video...) Corrected - if you quote this you will see how its done

peterbkloss

Postby peterbkloss » Wed May 10, 2023 2:27 pm

Will L wrote:
peterbkloss wrote:(my first attempt at linking a youtube video...) Corrected - if you quote this you will see how its done

Aha! that's how you do it - I wondered what the youtube button was for and how to use it - thanks Will L

peterbkloss

Postby peterbkloss » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:46 am

Aha - after a long break using them as a test load in unfinished state, having mostly done my Pannier I thought it about time to complete my B-Set, maybe might complete it before the Accurascale version hits the shops (!)

I have painted black all the shiny bits on the chassis (bogie tie bars, extra bolster details, guards steps and buffers)

Then to numbering:

numbering-1.jpg

cruelly enlarged. Then need to add 'guard' and '1'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peterbkloss

Postby peterbkloss » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:30 am

Now to the glazing. I'm using up my SE finecast 'bubble glazing' sets, my purchasing power being 10 years old (I kid you not)

A challenge was to find where the 'no Smoking' should be - getting close ups of this in photos is not that easy, I scoured all my books of photos, (I have a few) and from what I can see each 'second' compartment between the first and guard's compartment was NS, but only one of the firsts was - so I opted to make the higher numbered coach the one with the NS 1st - no idea if that was really the case. Pressfix tranfers, a fiddle to get fixed inside the bubble glazing but thats all I have :-(

A photo of one of the sides of each done:

numbering-2.jpg

I'm lacking the grills behind the luggage doors too ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:10 pm

Peter,

Brassmasters do etched brake van grills - their item E7

Ian

Return to “Peter Kloss”