Meeting 28th July

Moderator: Winander

andrewnummelin

Meeting 28th July

Postby andrewnummelin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:34 am

Very many thanks to Richard for organising this meeting. I found it highly enjoyable and informative and I'm looking forward to the next one.

One thing that was, for me, an unexpected bonus was the ability of people to go an grab things to show when relevant to a topic under discussion - something that would not be possible in a face to face gathering. This did however show up a weakness in web cams - they do not have the facility to show tiny things in close-up. If you have a good camera (capable of taking macro photos) do check if there is software available to enable it to be used as a web cam.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Winander

Re: Meeting 28th July

Postby Winander » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Thanks Andrew.

I was using an iPhone connected by USB to my iMac* and I think if could have held it steady to give the phone's camera time to focus, it would have been better. I might see if I can make some kind of stand.

This is the Clickspring video of the type of drill bit I think Jeremy was describing .

I have used the broken end of my Busch 0.5mm drill to successfully make holes, so I might try to stone that shape on the end of it.

*You can only use a USB cable to connect an iPhone to a Mac computer. If you are using a Windows computer, I think you have to use WiFi.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:25 pm

I often transfer pictures and the occasional video from my iPhone to our Windows PC using the USB/lightning lead. The only drawback is the way the iPhone stores pictures. When there are a lot of pictures then searching and finding even the most recent ones is interesting as they all get a bit jumbled up! For the odd picture I email it to myself. Videos take ages to email and clog up my email provider!

A phone camera often has less than brilliant depth of field in close up so it’s important to make sure it’s in focus of course.

Philip.

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:53 pm

The next event is scheduled for 11 August at 7:00pm. If you would like to join us, even if just for one meeting to see if you would like the format, contact me at virtual@scalefour.org. Zoom is easy to set up and free for participants.

I am also interested in engaging with any overseas members, so get in touch to see if we can work with your time zone.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Virtual Group”