Wanted: 2+ to join a Model Engineering Evening Class (M25 J25)

Brian T

Wanted: 2+ to join a Model Engineering Evening Class (M25 J25)

Postby Brian T » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:05 pm

A group of us attend a Model Engineering Evening Class; this is near to M25 Junction 25 and is on Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm. This is a small & very friendly closed/private group - so you won't find it advertised on the web.

Large modern workshop facility, with 5 Bridgeport size Vertical Mills (new, with DRO's and power feed), 16(?) modern Lathes with DRO's, Drills, Horizontal and Vertical Bandsaws, loads of bench space, Guillotine, tooling, some metal stocks etc.

Sadly no surface grinder - but we live in hope....

Qualified tuition & guidance available as required (from complete beginner upwards) or do your own thing on whatever project you are working on.

Costs? Well at the moment it appears that this year is free :) however this could change (and your own personal circumstances may affect this); as a guide previous years have been in the order of just under £100 for the entire year. There are currently ten of us in the group - sadly Covid claimed one of us :( and one or two others have moved away. However, we need to attract two or more to the group asap (the class has just started - enrollment is still ongoing though) otherwise there's a risk that the class could be cancelled).

So if you are interested - you must be aged 18+, house trained, friendly (no axe-wielding psychopaths) etc. then please contact me in the first instance.

Just one proviso though (and sorry to be blunt) - if you are (or were to be) a member of a Club and have an "Oi, you're sitting in MY chair..." attitude then this isn't the group for you. It's very friendly and helpful - and we'd really like to keep it that way....

Many thanks.
Brian
Last edited by Brian T on Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian T

Re: Wanted: 2+ to join a Model Engineering Evening Class (M25 J25)

Postby Brian T » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:15 pm

Places still available......

Brian T

Postby Brian T » Fri May 26, 2023 1:18 pm

Hi,

It may be my imagination but I think I had a P.M. about the class - but now can't find any record of it. So if anyone (from Enfield perhaps?) did send a PM could they please re-send it?
Thanks,
Brian

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 pm

Wish I lived closer.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Fri May 26, 2023 6:52 pm

You are lucky that these opportunities are available. Where I live adult ed is focused on beginner classes in Spanish and perhaps other languages from time to time, English as a second language, helping people get a high school diploma if they dropped out, how to become a citizen, retirement planning and so on. Nothing wrong with any of that, but the notion that people might be interested in learning how to make anything with tools has not been entertained for probably 25 or more years.

I remember as a spotty teenager going to the local college of FE where we were allowed to at least have a go at using tools. My friend wanted to be a machinist, I went along to keep him company. The instructor was the wonderfully named Mr. Vise. Years later I finally got around to buying a mini-lathe to see if I can learn a bit more. But there's no Mr. Vise to help me, online help and books coupled with being willing to make mistakes have to suffice.

One thing I have been amazed by is the cost of materials. I need to buy a piece of brass rod to have a go at making some of the fixtures Chris Pendlenton describes, a foot length of brass rod is about $80 plus shipping (no local retail outlets you can buy anything at all to do with lathes, it all has to be ordered online.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat May 27, 2023 12:19 pm

I have picked up raw materials at classic car/motorbike shows, as well as model engineering shows.

Another place I've picked up bits from is car boot sales, in the UK the old round pin plugs provided some short pieces for example.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat May 27, 2023 6:09 pm

Highpeak wrote: Where I live adult ed is focused on beginner classes in Spanish ...

Having looked to your location Neville, sadly there is not much those of us in the UK can do to assist. :( I have no idea what might exist elsewhere in the US but perhaps our other members in the US might have ideas. Material supply in the UK is not always easy but model engineering exhibitions are a good source and there may be some of those in the US.

In the past I have run some training courses on the use of the lathe but nothing since the pandemic but if there is a need somethinmg could probably be sorted out.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Lathe Work”