Inside threaded rod

John Bateson

Inside threaded rod

Postby John Bateson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:56 am

Rather than solder brass nuts on top of brass sheet (not the most secure) I thought I would take advice and the solution seems to be to be as per the picture enclosed.
349 10 BA Captive Nut.PNG

Then I added up how many I needed! And after a day making these I get rather fed up.

So I tried to find some rod with an inside thread, preferably 10 BA or metric equivalent, and failed miserably since the nut needs a wider base than the hole in which the small end fits.

Any ideas ....

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

garethashenden

Re: Inside threaded rod

Postby garethashenden » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Dimension everything in mm. Go to a site like mfg.com and get a Chinese company to make you 1000 for practically nothing. It’s a super simple part and the tolerances don’t need to be very tight. The setup cost of the CNC lathe will probably be more than the manufacturing cost, but it hopefully won’t be too high.

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:35 pm

John Bateson wrote:Rather than solder brass nuts on top of brass sheet (not the most secure) I thought I would take advice and the solution seems to be to be as per the picture enclosed.

John you could try soldering the nut over a slightly undersize hole and use a tapered tap to extend the thread through the sheet. Ever so simple, involves nothing your haven't already got and I've never had one fall off.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:07 pm

John,

The thing you've drawn looks a lot like a Hank bush to me. There's dozens of different types of threaded inserts for sheet metal available so you shouldn't have to make them. Not many for 10BA I suspect so you might have to go metric.

See what's available on-line.

DaveB

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Thanks to Dave and Will ...
Its a long time since I have seen these bushes. RS have a good range it seems but the smallest size is M2 for the threaded part.

The reason I am obsessing about a secure fit is because most of these will be inside various NiSi or brass boxes and separation of nut from sheet would be impossible to resolve safely.
The suggestion for this sort of idea in my work actually came during a CAG meeting when we were discussing it! This means of course that I do listen to what I am advised but may be a bit slow in acting on it. A young lady of my acquaintance would dispute both points though.
John

and somebody is bound to suggest that these 'boxes' should be made from solid material ...
Last edited by John Bateson on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:09 pm

The hank nut is the correct item for the job but a quick search did not reveal anything smaller than M2.5. Finding someone with a CNC lathe is one solution and it should be possible to find one closer than China. An alternative would be to get a standard10BA nut, hold it in the chuck of the lathe and machine a small shoulder. A bit fiddly but quicker than doing the whole job from scratch. It might be possible to find a collet chuck that would hold the nut which would give a better grip. Alternatively a short length of 10 BA studding or a long 10BA machine screw held in a collet chuck with a 10BA nut on to lock the one being turned would be another way of doing the job. Light cuts and a nice sharp cutting tool.

Terry Bendall

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm

RS Components do an M2 bush - unfortunately it is steel. RS number 505-268

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/

regards

Alan

Return to “Lathe Work”