A course on using the lathe

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

A course on using the lathe

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:00 pm

A course on how to use a metal turning lathe will take place on Saturday November 10th 2018 and will be held at Ruxley Church Hall, Ruxley Lane, Ewell, Surrey, KT19 0JG. The course is intended to cover the small type of table top lathe and those attending will need to bring their lathe with them. The course will run by Terry Bendall from 10.00am to 4.00pm. Those attending should arrive a bit before 10.00am so that we can get the machines set up.

The course will cover the following:

Simple lathe operations using a three jaw self-centring chuck;
Setting up work in a four jaw independent chuck;
Drilling holes using the lathe;
Cutting tools and how to sharpen them;
Accurate measuring of work;
Making and using hand turning tools.

The cost will be £25 per person. A minimum of five people will be needed to allow the course to run. For further details, and to book a place contact Terry Bendall at terrybendall@scalefour.org

David B

Re: A course on using the lathe

Postby David B » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:19 pm

I would like to come but it is too far and I am not doing battle with traffic anywhere near London on a Friday or Saturday. Could a similar workshop be considered further west some time (or in another part of the country if people express an interest)?

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 am

David B wrote: Could a similar workshop be considered further west some time (or in another part of the country if people express an interest)?

Yes. All you have to do is ask :), find a suitable venue and agree to cover the costs involved - venue hire, overnight stay if needed, and fuel. I am currently in discussion about one for the Manchester MRS and in the past have done workshops for the Nottingham and East of Scotland area groups.

Terry Bendall

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Worth going if you have the chance. I learned a lot!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I am pleased to say this course is now almost full but this is a last call for anyone who is thinking about coming to get an e-mail to me by 18.00 tomorrow (Saturday) if you would like to come.

Terry Bendall

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Terry led a session for the East of Scotland group a few years ago and it certainly got my butt moving (for a productive short period at least) on the Unimat lathe that I had acquired. I'm now a lot happier using it when the need might arise. I think it's safe to say that everyone else at that session picked up a trick or 2.

So, if you have a lathe and are free, and the spaces are still free, I'd say it will be time well spent.

Alas, no commission picked up from Terry writing these few lines,

Lindsay

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:33 am

Lindsay G wrote:Alas, no commission picked up from Terry writing these few lines,

The commission will be the invitation to the East of Scotland group to bring Burntisland to Scaleforum next year on September 28th/29th 2019. :D

Terry Bendall

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for the course today Terry, you did a wonderful job. Very inspiring.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Andy W wrote:Thanks for the course today Terry, you did a wonderful job. Very inspiring.

Nice also to put a face to a name or two ;)
Tim Lee

Dave Searle

Postby Dave Searle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:29 am

Just to add my thanks to Terry for an excellent course.

If you are a beginner with a lathe and you get the chance to attend one of these days, it's well worth going on.

If you were there on Saturday, and left something vital behind, then please contact me.

Cheers,

Dave

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks to Dave, Tim and Andy for their kind comments. There is nothing very special about doing these sort of things but having once been a teacher of what was called when I started teaching in 1967 woodwork and metalwork, I know a bit about putting stuff over and a bit about the subject. I am sure there are other members around the country who have the same skills and expertise on this subject and others and can help our members develop their skills. It is the sort of thing that some area groups do, and some clubs and is well worth setting up.

Terry Bendall

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Double thanks Terry, since both me and Pablo enjoyed and learned a lot on Saturday. And may be more important, I am not afraid of using the lathe now. It is good to start in front of someone that catches your mistakes at once!
It is great to have such a teacher in our society.
Carlos

Ps. I didn't recognize you, Tim. I like your series of posts, being pregrouping, and your approach of full understanding

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Carlos wrote:Ps. I didn't recognize you, Tim. I like your series of posts, being pregrouping, and your approach of full understanding

Often something of a stream of consciousness I'm afraid .... but glad they are of interest.

..the Company of the Iron Roads in Southern Spain .... sounds fascinating. I shall follow with interest :thumb
Tim Lee

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:26 am

Terry, you shouldn’t undervalue your efforts. It’s rare to find someone with your skills; rarer still that they have the ability and patience to teach them, and remarkable that they are willing to spend time doing so. Thanks again.

My only regret about Saturday was that I didn’t have time to connect with the other attendees. Sadly I had to dash off into the madness that is west London traffic.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Return to “Lathe Work”