Gibson Brass Wheels

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Gibson Brass Wheels

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:51 pm

I thought this one worth a link, for those who go for split axles.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85010-gibson-brass-centred-wheels-for-deeley-dock-tank/
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy W

Re: Gibson Brass Wheels

Postby Andy W » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks for the link Keith. It's a shame the new brass centred AG wheels need a lathe to finish. The older versions didn't. I'm just starting an MR dock tank so will follow the relevant threads with interest.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Mark Tatlow

Re: Gibson Brass Wheels

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 pm

I have used the brass centred trailing wheels without the need for a lathe and I might have a go at a driver on the same basis at some point.

The photographs in the RMweb thread are rather cruel but the surface finish on them is very good as Colin has simply used the same master as he did for the plastic centres. Thus the lathe is not really required to improve the finish.

All I did was to use a reamer to clean the axle hole to a slight interferance fit to the axle. Press the axle into wheel boss in a brass wheel in the vice. Use this in a drill chuck and simply take a smidgeon from the outer rim of the wheel so that the tyre is an interference fit and fit this with the vice again but with a block with hole in it so that it bears on the wheel rather than the axle.

At present I have only done it to one side as my particular chassis was live both sides, but it would only take a simple clamp to do it to both wheels on an axle. I will definately be having a go at this at some point as the wheels are easier to get on truely square than the plastic ones.
Mark Tatlow

Return to “Lathe Work”