Recommended reading

David B

Recommended reading

Postby David B » Tue May 07, 2013 5:25 pm

I am new to lathework and am told there are plenty of books out there for beginners such as me.

Does anyone have a particular favourite they can recommend?

David

John Bateson

Re: Recommended reading

Postby John Bateson » Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 pm

The Amateurs Lathe - LH Sparey

First printed in 1948 (and it shows) but recommended to me by Terry Bendall.
Don't bother with your local library, they are probably as useless as ours, it was about £5 from Amazon

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 pm

David,

Depends to some extent on the size of lathe and what you want to do. Terry Bendall wrote a good guide in S4 News around 2008 (in the archive if you don't have the copies). I started with Unimat Lathe Projects by Gerald Wingrove although I have a Cowells lathe. There are some 'standard texts' by the likes of Sparey, Thomas and others but they are of more use for machines of the Myford ML7 size rather than the smaller Unimat, Cowells or Peatol size. Perhaps if you could let us know what type of lathe and what you want to do others on this list more expert than I will put in their two penny worth.

Tony Comber

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm

The internet can also be useful, how about this for starters http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David B

Postby David B » Tue May 07, 2013 6:00 pm

I bought the lathe Terry was selling on this forum a few weeks ago. 6" between centres and 13/4" centre height.

David

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 pm

A Model Engineering Foundation Course by Peter Wright is a good primer.

A subscription to Model Engineers Workshop is very worthwhile. This allows you to access all of the previous issues from their website.

Like most things, getting started and then lots of practice will soon get you where you want to be with it.
James Dickie

My workbench

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 am

shipbadger wrote:There are some 'standard texts' by the likes of Sparey, Thomas and others but they are of more use for machines of the Myford ML7 size rather than the smaller Unimat, Cowells or Peatol size.

I don't know the Thomas book but I have had my copy of the Sparey one for about 47 years and still refer to it occasionally. If you are using carbon steel or high speed steel tool bits the recommended angles for the cutting tools cannot be beaten, although some smaller special shapes will be needed for jobs such as turning whistles and finials. The principles of lathe work are the same regardless of the size of the job.

shipbadger wrote:Perhaps if you could let us know what type of lathe and what you want to do others on this list more expert than I will put in their two penny worth.

I am sure they will.

Terry Bendall

David B

Postby David B » Thu May 09, 2013 7:29 am

Thank you for your suggestions. I will follow them up.

David

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Thu May 09, 2013 9:31 am

I have a well worn copy of ' Using the Small Lathe ' by LC Mason orignally published by MAP in 1963 it seems to have been reprinted recently and has been listed by Camden Books. It concentrates on small lathes and has ideas on home production of lathe accessories.

CliveLincs

Return to “Lathe Work”