Graphite bearings

MarkS

Graphite bearings

Postby MarkS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:15 pm

I was wondering if anyone had thought of or tried making hornblock bearings out of graphite. I am aware of Ted S. using ball races, but would graphite be just too brittle in this application?
You certainly would not have to lubricate it.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

David Knight

Re: Graphite bearings

Postby David Knight » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi Mark,

Graphite, even the harder varieties, it too soft for the job AFAIK although it does get used for brushes doesn't it? Self lubricating/porous bronze OTOH might be an option but I don't know of any sources.

Cheers,

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Graphite bearings

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:11 am

Graphite could be used for bearings, since it has self lubricating qualities, but in the sizes that we want I think it would be too brittle and machining would not be easy. In engineering phosphor bronze is used to make plain bearings. The composition can vary but a typical phosphor bronze would contain between 4% - 12% tin, 0.15 - 0.5% phosphorous and the rest is copper. The greater the tin content the better the bearing qualities.

Phosphor bronse in small sizes can be obtained from Maidstone Engineering, 5 Larkstore Park, Lodge Road, Staplehust, Kent. TN12 0QY 01580 890066.

Mind you, for our size of work, I am not convinces that there are any significant advantages over brass.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Lathe Work”