Planning to buy a modellers lathe

Andy W

Re: Planning to buy a modellers lathe

Postby Andy W » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 am

I think I'll look out for courses on how to use a lathe.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 am

Ealing wrote:I think I'll look out for courses on how to use a lathe.

As I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I found such a course extremely helpful, particualrly as I had no technical education of any kind at school. I attended a weekly evening class in 'Model Engineering' at what was then Watford Tec - it must have been at least 30 years ago now.

So if you can find such a course, I would certainly recommend it. The only problem is that these courses seem mostly to be arranged to fit in with the academic year, and have a start date usually in September, with bookings having to be made in the summer (usually by August). Regrettably there is always a chance of such courses getting cancelled due to 'lack of support', but all the more reason for those interested to apply, which will make it less likely that they will get cancelled.

If there are still vacancies, you can sometimes get on a course at the beginning of the Spring term (January), but you often have to bypass the admin wallahs and approach the course tutor direct.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Does anybody have a recommendation for lighting up the new toy - something that might screw under the shelves that are just above it?
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am

I fitted a simple strip light to the underside of the shelf above, which proved a cheap and effective means of providing an even light.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Fluorescents should not be used with machine tools - something to do with strobe effects.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Tim V wrote:Fluorescents should not be used with machine tools - something to do with strobe effects.

It is possible under fluorescent lighting for moving parts to appear stationary at some speeds, when the rpm, or a harmonic thereof, matches the rate of flicker in the tube.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:52 pm

This is all to do with the AC cycle 0f 50 hertz. Flourescent lights can be used with machine tools. What you need is a fitting with two tubes in it which might be a problem for smaller fittings. The tubes cycle on and off at different times. It is only a problem at certain speeds. Use a filiment lamp overcomes the problem. Personally I use an Anglepoise type lamp.

Terry Bendall

21C141

Postby 21C141 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Sorry to resurrect this thread after a few years, but following on from Johns experience I've just purchased the Chester Conquest Super.

image.jpg

Basically the same as the Conquest with the addition of digital readouts on the cross slides.

image.jpg

All for £499.

Living in N Wales it was a no brainier really.

With retirement not too far away I'll be loosing the workshop facilities at work so I thought it about time to get a few things together while I can still afford it.
Ray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jayell

Postby jayell » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Digital readouts and variable speed, that really is luxury compared to the Warwick or Unimat SL lathes that I once owned. Clever people those chinese!

John

Pannier Tank

Postby Pannier Tank » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:57 pm

21C141 wrote:Sorry to resurrect this thread after a few years, but following on from Johns experience I've just purchased the Chester Conquest Super.

Did the Lathe come ready to use or does it have to be stripped and cleaned before reassembly?
Regards

David

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:00 pm

One of the advantages to me, a total newbie at the time, was that the Chester Conquest did not have to be stripped and cleaned, it was ready to roll as soon as it got on my workbench.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Return to “Lathe Work”