A course on using the lathe

Terry Bendall

A course on using the lathe

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:00 pm

A course on how to use a metal turning lathe will take place on Saturday November 10th 2018 and will be held at Ruxley Church Hall, Ruxley Lane, Ewell, Surrey, KT19 0JG. The course is intended to cover the small type of table top lathe and those attending will need to bring their lathe with them. The course will run by Terry Bendall from 10.00am to 4.00pm. Those attending should arrive a bit before 10.00am so that we can get the machines set up.

The course will cover the following:

Simple lathe operations using a three jaw self-centring chuck;
Setting up work in a four jaw independent chuck;
Drilling holes using the lathe;
Cutting tools and how to sharpen them;
Accurate measuring of work;
Making and using hand turning tools.

The cost will be £25 per person. A minimum of five people will be needed to allow the course to run. For further details, and to book a place contact Terry Bendall at terrybendall@scalefour.org

David B

Re: A course on using the lathe

Postby David B » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:19 pm

I would like to come but it is too far and I am not doing battle with traffic anywhere near London on a Friday or Saturday. Could a similar workshop be considered further west some time (or in another part of the country if people express an interest)?

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 am

David B wrote: Could a similar workshop be considered further west some time (or in another part of the country if people express an interest)?

Yes. All you have to do is ask :), find a suitable venue and agree to cover the costs involved - venue hire, overnight stay if needed, and fuel. I am currently in discussion about one for the Manchester MRS and in the past have done workshops for the Nottingham and East of Scotland area groups.

Terry Bendall

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Worth going if you have the chance. I learned a lot!

Return to “Lathe Work”