Oxfordshire/West Berks OWBAG Meeting 8th November, 2022

Moderator: gavin

ianpenberth

Oxfordshire/West Berks OWBAG Meeting 8th November, 2022

Postby ianpenberth » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:10 pm

At The Pendon Museum, High Street, Long Wittenham, OX14 4QD, on Tuesday 8th November from 19:30 onwards.

We ask for a contribution of £4 per head to cover the cost of the room, and teas and coffees. Other light refreshments are available to purchase.

All welcome at the meeting, whether local or just passing through. Feel free to bring along something you have built or are working on.
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

GarethSmith

Re: Oxfordshire/West Berks OWBAG Meeting 8th November, 2022

Postby GarethSmith » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:09 pm

This meeting was our second at Pendon and thanks to Peter and Tim for making it available again and running some trains on the Vale Scene. As always Pendon was inspiring and we had a chance to see and hear about the latest developments including the model of a brick works now in situ. Thanks to Ian Penberth for organising the meeting although he was unable to be there. With eight of us present it was nicely attended.

Mike kicked off the discussion talking about the manufacture of ball and socket joints and using tender mounted motors with with the drive via the locomotive.

David A. had brought along an excellent pair of North Eastern coaches based on D&S kits. These were built as they would have been running in LNER times - late 1920s-30s. A lot of time had been spent looking at photographs to get the details correct which in particular required modifications to the roofs and underframes. The bogies were from Miscellany Models with some details produced in resin by David. These made use of a moulding kit from "Sylmasta" which David had found a good, practical way to produce resin copies from a master. (As I write this I found that Sylmaster have now created a separate brand called "Sylcreate" for their casting/mould making/modelling products. See https://sylcreate.com/) David had also brought along a partially-completed coach which illustrated some of the building techniques.

Mike had brought along an impressive working station lamp that he made along with more components from David Geen. Using these he will be producing some station lamps for installation on the Pendon vale scene.

Both Robin and myself had attending the Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers weekend just beforehand. Robin completing fettling his 'Easychas' C Class and working on a wagon using some of Mike's Masokits components. I continued building an (old) Churchward Models 45XX kit.

At Missenden I had a desktop tool storage as shown in the photo and had brought along. This I obtained from ebay - but for anyone interested actually finding this type of thing on the site can be a bit tricky. A search in ebay for "Screwdriver Pencil Pen Organizers Storage Rack" seems to do the trick.

With apologies for errors and omissions in this report - my notes being rather sketchy in places. Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable evening.

These meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month - so the next should be on the 13th December.

Toolrack.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daddyman

Re: Oxfordshire/West Berks OWBAG Meeting 8th November, 2022

Postby Daddyman » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:50 am

GarethSmith wrote: (As I write this I found that Sylmaster have now created a separate brand called "Sylcreate" for their casting/mould making/modelling products. See https://sylcreate.com/)

Just had a look at this and the casting kit I have always bought is now only available in XL size, meaning that the price has gone up from £38 to
£69 (with £7 postage to add on top of that) so it might be an idea to seek out other sources - Hobby Holidays? Anyone have any ideas? This is the person who I learnt from and anyone interested could trawl through 388 pages of his thread on the LNER forum to find out what product he uses. Seem to remember he went off Sylmasta:
https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... 4549e20465

Here's the Sylmasta kit I used to buy, anyway:
https://sylcreate.com/product/sylmasta-casting-kit-xl/

Return to “Oxfordshire and West Berkshire AG (OWBAG)”