Oxfordshire & West Berks (OWBAG) Meeting Tues 9th August

Moderator: gavin

ianpenberth

Oxfordshire & West Berks (OWBAG) Meeting Tues 9th August

Postby ianpenberth » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:33 pm

At The Plough Inn, High Street, Long Wittenham, OX14 4QB, on Tuesday 9th August from 19:30 onwards.

Our room is booked from 19:30 - 21:30. The pub will be open beforehand and serving meals and the usual refreshments. Please contact the pub directly to let them know you're coming if you intend to eat - 01865 407738.

All welcome, whether local or just passing through. Feel free to bring along something you have built or are working on.
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

ianpenberth

Re: Oxfordshire & West Berks (OWBAG) Meeting Tues 9th August

Postby ianpenberth » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:39 pm

A select band of three tonight... Rob, Gareth and Ian (Andrew was not feeling great at the last minute and David A was stuck at home marking exam papers).

We talked at length on the importance of correct wheel back to backs and track gauge - and mint gauges in particular. Gareth had brought along one of the Scalefour tapered BB gauges - a useful piece of kit. We discussed ways of adjusting BB on pre-assembled wheelsets.

Gareth also showed a MERG DCC controller and another circuit board using 'surface mount' components - fascinating to see the compactness of those. We had a little chat about CBUS too.

Ian showed the Bachmann Class 121 single-unit DMU he'd converted to P4 with a relatively straightforward change of wheelsets. The quality and finish of the model 'out of the box' was remarked upon.

If anything came out of tonight it was the value of such face to face meetings for exchange of knowledge - some basic, some advanced - to help us all move forward with our individual projects.

Next meeting - same place and time - second Tuesday, 13th September.
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

martin goodall

Re: Oxfordshire & West Berks (OWBAG) Meeting Tues 9th August

Postby martin goodall » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:50 pm

I am very sorry that I was unable to get to this meeting (as I was 90 miles away at the time!)

I could have contributed to the discussion on re-gauging wheels on pre-assembled wheelsets. Maybe I can talk about this briefly at the next meeting.

My diary is still rather fluid for September, but I will be at that meeting if at all possible.

Finally, I would strongly endorse Ian's remark about the value of face-to-face meetings like this for the exchange of knowledge. So I would encourage everyone to get involved in their nearest area group. I have benefited greatly from my membership of such groups.

Return to “Oxfordshire and West Berkshire AG (OWBAG)”