SR fence posts

Outside the fence.
Mark-Leigh

Re: SR fence posts

Postby Mark-Leigh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi Hardwicke

Hopefully the 2 unrelated photos below will show the difference especially when you zoom in

The first is part of Eridge Footbridge printed by Shapeways in fine detail plastic

Satircs.jpg

The Second a buffer height guage printed once again by Shapeways in versatile plastic

Buffer Height.jpg

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark-Leigh

Postby Mark-Leigh » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Had the Elegoo Mars 3D Printer fired up today.

With a space on the build plate i decided to try the SR Concrete Lineside Fencing Post.
No alteration to the file that is uploaded to Shapeways.

Post View A.jpg

Post View B.jpg

The results are quite pleasing considering no supports were used.

My feeling is it would be worth investing sometime in modifying the file so that the parts were easier to paint on the sprue (cost governed the design layout for Shapeways) and adding a greater distance between posts with some support mechanism. The cost involved to print these from home is a fraction of that from shapeways so its a viable proposition.

If anyone is interested in "small" production runs i'd be happy to discuss this on a one to one basis
You can email me markskye@blueyonder.co.uk, please title the email SR Concrete Lineside Fencing Posts otherwise they may get spammed. :shock:

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 pm

I note that you have incorporated slots to take the "wires". Experiments all but 50 years ago convinced me - and my modelling partners - that the wires would be invisible at normal layout viewing distances. I was very careful though, to add pin-pricks of dark paint to the posts where the wire fasteners would have been and that was so convincing that most viewers thought that the wires were there. Incidentally, early SR concrete post fence installations had the wires running through the centre of the post but that was found to be unsatisfactory so in later installations the posts were turned through 90° and fasteners used to fix the wires to one side of the posts, the side away from the railway.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Having cycled and walked alongside LNER and LMR posts regularly a stain of rust fron the fasteners is probably more effective. Mark, I've messaged you.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:54 pm

The Eridge footbridge one doesn't seem to want to zoom in.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:24 pm

This might be of interst for the fencing wires.These are Bernard Weller's own samples.
20201106_133537.jpg

Return to “Other Buildings and Scenery”