corrugated iron

Outside the fence.
steve howe

corrugated iron

Postby steve howe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:55 pm

I have some buildings to make for the cameo challenge in the classic corrugated iron light railway style. I am wondering if anyone has a preference between the SE Finecast sheets and the Slaters?

I have always used Slaters in the past although it seems less 'crisp' these days.

Steve

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: corrugated iron

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:39 pm

AMBIS has an alternative in real metal.
http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/Products/Products_Index.htm
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Andy Vaughan at Severn Models also does corrugated iron sheets (in brass). It does not appear on his website but he has it at shows, so send him an email.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:27 pm

The SE Finecast is a bit coarse for 4mm, too my mind.

Phil.

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 pm

The solution is to make your own. A few years ago I bought some form tools from USA via Ebay but can't find the link right now. They are CNC machined form tools on which you lay thick foil and press forming a miniature corrugated sheet in aluminium. There is a similar tool made in Australia by Brunel Hobbies http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ironmaker/ironmaker.htm. Take a look at the Youtube clip, shows how easy it is to make your own sheets. Got to be worth buying that and making your own? (There is a Brunel here in the UK but that is not the same company).

If you are a member of the NGRM (Narrow gauge) forum there is a thread on there about corrugated iron which has been going on for years and shows some excellent shots of corrugated iron. These vary from shots of buildings to individual sheets and show realistic photos of how corrugated iron looks during its life with varying degrees of rust.

Hope this helps.

Ralph

(Edited to get name of shop right!)

Return to “Other Buildings and Scenery”