Foamex

Outside the fence.
hughesp87

Re: Foamex

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56 pm

Monty,

My experience of Foamex has been primarily for display boards in public exhibitions. It's strong, dimensionally stable and it's possible to print onto it. I had the nameboard for my Obbekaer layout printed onto it and the reproduction was excellent, although it can't tell you exactly what process was involved.

The one immediate down side I can think of is that it's excellent in the flat, but very difficult to bend. In fact I can recall one display breaking when someone inadvertently tried to bend it. As such I wouldn't think it would work for a 'wrap round' backscene with curved corners.

Unless of course someone else knows better … !!

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 am

We have used the 5mm thick variety on Balcombe for the pelmetting. As Geraint said, it is strong. Our name boards lettering has been printed on it.

It is an excellent product but is a tad expensive compared to the usual materials. With regards to bending we have found its flexibility sufficient for use around the 2m radius curved section of the layout. If gently curved 'wrap around' corners were required, and the 3mm thinkness stuff was used I would have thought that would bend sufficiently for that.

Available from here (and many others) on ebay @ £25 for one 2' x 4' sheet or £50 for five post free. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-MATT-P ... :rk:2:pf:0
Also from here https://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/pv ... te-finish/
John

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 am

Something mentioned in the same breath as Foamex is Palight, which is also a skinned foamed pic sheet and used in signwriting. This is cheaper and bends easily. It can be joined with Loctite/super glue. I've used it for a back scene of a somewhat stalled cameo project and I've attached a couple of pics below. It can be sanded and the radius of the 2mm is about 100-150mm. There is a join half way along in the pics due to the way I cut it. Some useful info is available if you google Palight or Palfoam. I bought some 1mm, 2mm and 3mm sheets which came 8' x 4'.
Some useful model making tips here:
https://davidneat.wordpress.com/materials/constructing/palight-foamed-pvc/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:19 am

Monty wrote:It was the 3mm thickness that was recommended with the comment that it can be bent around curves. May try it. I can get a piece the correct height with a required length of around 7'. Delivery costs more than the piece!

Some suppliers sell sample pieces that you could try first or you could buy an A3 or A4 sheet.
John

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:57 am

Its worth getting to know the managers at your local B&Q, (other stores available) A lot of promotional signage is produced on a Foamex type substrate and generally goes in the skip when finished with. I got a good bunch of it about 4mm thick, 2m long by about 600mm wide from our B&Q.

Although it looks hard, it is actually very easy to cut, and I used it as the shell for a big warehouse I was making.
wh4.JPG

Another source might be a UPVC plastic supplier to the building trade i.e soffits, facia boards etc. uPVC sheet is very flexible and comes in 8' x 4', they might run some through the saw for you.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Buildings and Scenery”