Yeovil Town - bridge details

Outside the fence.
jayell

Yeovil Town - bridge details

Postby jayell » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 am

For the benefit of anyone building bridges I am attaching a group of pictures of the bridge that used to span the GWR branch from Yeovil Pen Mill and the LSWR branch from Yeovil Junction. Note the shallownes of the brick arches, use of stone blocks on top of brickwork to support girders, weathering patterns and various repairs carried out particularly on the stone buttress and wing walls, which are the GW side of the bridge.

yeovil_bridge-01.jpg

yeovil_bridge-02.jpg

yeovil_bridge-03.jpg

yeovil_bridge-04.jpg

yeovil_bridge-05.jpg

yeovil_bridge-06.jpg

yeovil_bridge-07.jpg

yeovil_bridge-08.jpg

Hope this will be of interest. I think the railings on top-side of bridge are quite modern. A leisure centre including a couple of restaurants occupy what was the site of the original station with car parking on both sides of the overbridge. The GWR track bed back to Pen Mill station and in the other direction towards Hendford Halt is now a cycle/pedestrian path. The LSWR track was also removed but evidence of it is still visible running across the golf course south of the station site.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Tatlow

Re: Yeovil Town - bridge details

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 pm

johnlewis wrote: Note the shallownes of the brick arches

These are called "jack arches" and are a common feature of Victorian structures. They span between beams (as you have here) and impose side forces that seek to spread out the arch so the beams have to be reasonably robust to withstand these forces. They are typically used on warehouse type floors where the forces of one jack arch is met by the opposing force of the adjacent jack arch except where you get to the perimeter, where fairly substantial walls are used.

I would say the bridge has also had its span reduced by a more modern pier that have been installed to split the span. It also looks to have had the outside beam to one side improved by a second beam that wraps around the original - you can see that the outside beam is a smooth rolled bit of steel in the later pictures whereas the others are riveted up from sections and you can see the engineering brick where the wall has been rebuilt to accommodate the new work.

You probably have a new deck on this too; as well as the modern handrails.
Mark Tatlow

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:11 am

Mark Tatlow wrote:These are called "jack arches" and are a common feature of Victorian structures.

And great fun to model of course - with the brick bonding as well. :D

Good to see what the clues tell someone who knows about such things, as Mark does.

Terry Bendall

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 am

It also looks to have had the outside beam to one side improved by a second beam that wraps around the original - you can see that the outside beam is a smooth rolled bit of steel in the later pictures whereas the others are riveted up from sections

I note that this nice smooth bit of steel does not extend to the underneath where the original rivetted flange is visible painted a nice green, I suspect that the smooth exterior is just a cosmetic plate added to give a more modern look and satisfy the H&S by preventing the adventurous using the bottom flange as a nice foothold to climb along the outside and either fall off or spray graffiti.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Other Buildings and Scenery”