hedgelaying

Outside the fence.
TEZBEDZ

hedgelaying

Postby TEZBEDZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm

On photographs of Llanfyllin the hedging behind the signal box along the back of part of the layout appears to be a newly laid hedge.

On the model it will be about 12" in length.

I've been wondering how to model it, and one idea I had was Thyme stalks dried out and stripped of their leaves (kitchen for the use of)

Has anyone any other ideas about this, I am not sure if I have seen it modelled before, as it will have to be built from nothing onsite and I want to be able to see through it.

Whilst we age on the subject of strange requests, has anyone modelled a half relief greenhouse, if so how? My only thoughts are evergreen strip and clear polystyrene
Regards

Terry

williambarter

Re: hedgelaying

Postby williambarter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 am

Not sure about making one, but having just had our real one done, remember "fair face to the field, and lay up the hill". Or did hedging styles vary across the country, this was in Northants.

frizby

Postby frizby » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:24 am

I would suggest looking at lots of pictures and also the right hedge for the area - frightening number of different ones and construction!! :?

This sight might help direction. :)

http://www.hedgelaying.org.uk/styles.htm

Andy

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 am

I managed to buy a couple of packets of fresh thyme and am amazed at the amount of stalks involved, I should be able to model the hedge and use it for bushes and undergrowth.
Regards

Terry

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:39 pm

TEZBEDZ wrote:I managed to buy a couple of packets of fresh thyme and am amazed at the amount of stalks involved, I should be able to model the hedge and use it for bushes and undergrowth.

And, if you have a wife like mine, be able to make a pretty decent amount of raspberry and thyme jam from the bits that you don't need for railway modelling...

http://www.inkyann.com/goodies/

Lower part of the page. Ours is a house that never goes hungry...

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Other Buildings and Scenery”