Lineside fencing regulations

Outside the fence.
David Knight

Lineside fencing regulations

Postby David Knight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:36 pm

As part of an ongoing program to upgrade my portable layout I have come to the point where I need to start adding some lineside fencing. A few particulars should be mentioned; it is a light railway (fictional), time period- early to mid 1950s, condition - generally run down ie skint. I am thinking (hoping) that wire and post should be adequate, can anyone offer some suggestions? One final thing, what happened to the fence when the line passed through a bridged cutting, did it go up the slope or terminate at a convenient spot?

Cheers,

David

Tim V

Re: Lineside fencing regulations

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Post & wire is quite adequate. It could be sleepers cut in half (lengthwise) with 5 wires. Have you looked at the Youtube videos of light railways for some inspiration? I know the K&ESR is on there.

The fence would run up the edge of the cutting - it usually designated the boundary of the railway land. The rules in Britain required the railways to fence their land and make it stock-proof - from domestic farm animals.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks Tim, very useful on all counts. One other thing though, what would the typical spacing be between posts?

Cheers,

David

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 am

For the spacing of posts for this type of fencing, my guess is in the region of 8'. (There were drawings in GWRJ #13 and #56, which I haven't got access to at the moment.)

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 pm

I would say that i would be nearer to six foot spacings. again no evidence to support this but a gut feeling.....

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 pm

I can only speak for the GWR. The Ratio kit for lineside fencing gives 20mm between posts. I made it to this , but it looked wrong. I went out and measured some on the Camerton line (closed 1952), and it was 6'.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

wally

Postby wally » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:07 pm

This subject was discussed in some length on RMWeb some time back, I suggest you may find more information on this link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... msearch__1

H T H

Wally

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 am

Ok this is BR or LNER fencing in East Suffolk....

East Suffolk_IMG_1958.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Hardwick wrote:Ok this is BR or LNER fencing in East Suffolk....

Hmm, Looks like if I grow my grass long enough I can get away with just showing the posts :D

Cheers,

David

wally

Postby wally » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 pm

davknigh wrote:
Hardwick wrote:Ok this is BR or LNER fencing in East Suffolk....

Hmm, Looks like if I grow my grass long enough I can get away with just showing the posts :D

Cheers,

David

If you do you may be eligable for a grant from the EEC for helping wildlife through the field margins scheme!

Wally

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:25 am

Tim V wrote:I can only speak for the GWR. The Ratio kit for lineside fencing gives 20mm between posts. I made it to this , but it looked wrong. I went out and measured some on the Camerton line (closed 1952), and it was 6'.

Tim,
I've just dug out my copy of GWRJ No. 56 (with the drawing of the the GW wire and post fencing) which has the distance between posts as 6'. By the way 56 is a good issue as it has the article on local freight working on the Radstock line.

Return to “Other Buildings and Scenery”