Rail Served Abattoirs

Outside the fence.
Amck

Rail Served Abattoirs

Postby Amck » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:35 pm

Does anyone have photos or info on rail served abattoirs? I know they did exist although not at all common. I recollect seeing a photo of one in Cornwall some twenty years ago but I don't remember where. There was one on the Scottish borders at a place called Broughton, (I think the spelling is right), a short distance from the loading bay. There was one at Invergorden with a bay which held three refridgerated vans, a fact related to me by one of my contempories in the mid sixties. The only one I have seen is at an abattoir just outside Farham, only with a ramp for unloading livestock but with no facility for loading deadweight. I would also be interested in info about rail served cold stores.
Andy McKerrow.

johnWM

Re: Rail Served Abattoirs

Postby johnWM » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:13 pm

There was a slaughter house at Uffculme on the Culm valley railway in Devon, with private siding access. See "The Culm Valley Railway" Michael Messenger published by Twelveheads Press

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:26 am

I have moved this topic out of the admin section.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:32 pm

My layout 'Forge Mill Sidings' is a bone and manure factory which were a lot more common but still with similar traffic. There are pictures in the Scalefour 1883 Challenge pages. The Bone Mill as it was known is the hipped single storey building and the two stone mills in the yard behind it. It is based on a real mill that was knocked down 2 years ago.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

johnp

Postby johnp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:41 pm

There was a rail served abbatoir in Blackpool when I was growing up. It was on the line to Balckpool North (Talbot Road). If you have a map it was western side of the Devonshire Road overbridge. I remember seeing lines of cattle wagons. The abbatoir dealt with cattle and pigs because we had a school trip round it. HTH

iak

Postby iak » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 am

Stanley Abattoir in Liverpool was linked to the Bootle branch - a veritable monster of a building and site...

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/391875

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dserve. ... &dsqPos=21
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Return to “Other Buildings and Scenery”