Obbekaer

vdebode

Obbekaer

Postby vdebode » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Geraint,

What a beautiful modelling and detailing :D. It looks like practically everything is scratchbuild, am I right about that?

Vincent
Vincent de Bode
De Graafstroom, P87 cape gauge
Builder of Flintfield, P4

hughesp87

Re: Obbekaer

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi Vincent,

Certainly all the trackwork and buildings are scratchbuilt. Stock is a different matter, because there are some nice models available off the shelf from Danish manufacturers such as Hobbytrade and Heljan, but they still need to be converted to p87.

The Litra D 2-6-0 is a case in point. Whilst the bodywork is excellent, the chassis left something to be desired in terms of running qualities. In the end, we had to obtain a new chassis block and mill it out for new brass hornblocks. The wheel centres from the original model were used, with Gibson tyres applied and the whole wheel faced off at the back to achieve a p87 profile. Etched coupling rods completed the build.

I must admit though that I get a lot of satisfaction from scratchbuilding. The earlier Triangel used my own etches and I enjoy the process of design and the anticipation of the etches arriving in the post from PPD. This is now a very important part of my modelling.

The latest model on the production line is of a small 3-axle diesel loco from one of the Danish private railways. Here's a photo of the chassis, which uses a small Mashima motor and a pair of High Level gearboxes. All axles are sprung. This one has been a long time in the making, but that suits me, as long as I can see some progress!

20190825_160232.jpg

There are also a couple of steam locos to be completed. Finding suitable driving wheels for steam locos is always a problem, as it's often difficult to match up diameter and number of spokes with products available in 4mm scale. Perhaps the latest initiatives for 3D printing of wheel centres will help in the long run.

I'm really sorry that our 'international' get together could not happen today, but this is a good alternative. Hopefully we can manage an exhibition appearance for both layouts together at some stage in the future.

Best wishes,

Geraint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi Geraint,

It has been good to see Obbekaer again, even if on the screen. Very nice video and talking.

Hope to see you all soon,
Carlos

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks Carlos. Hope to catch up with you soon.

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:06 pm

I hadn't seen Obbekaer before but, my word, I was so impressed. It wasn't only the layout and stock, but also the meticulous research that went into it and the attention to detail. Loved it.

vdebode

Postby vdebode » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi Geraint,

Thanks for that info and my admiration for your perseverance! Your research is also very good!
I hope to see the real thing in 2021!

Cheers,

Vincent.
Vincent de Bode
De Graafstroom, P87 cape gauge
Builder of Flintfield, P4

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:18 pm

David,

Thanks for your comments. When you're modelling a "might have been" I always think it's essential to get the background story right in order to make the model convincing. That's why the link to the club in Ribe has been so important for me. Books can show you lots of things, and the preserved railways in Denmark can help to define the atmosphere that's required, but the opportunity to talk to very knowledgeable modellers over there has been critical.

It's been interesting to compare some of the films on here today. Coming with a model that few will have any experience of, I felt the need to tell more of the story of how the model came about. I find at exhibitions that a lot of the questions we face relate to this aspect of the layout, rather than the more technical questions about how it was built.

Just goes to show that there are many aspects to this hobby of ours!

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:34 pm

To follow on from the last post, I should acknowledge the contributions of my regular operators, Brian Page and Ian Thomson, towards the success of Obbekaer. Ian in particular has made a major contribution to the rolling stock that appears on the layout. Sadly, because the filming had to take place in lockdown and with no visitors because of my wife's 'shielding' status, none of Ian's stock appears on the film. That also made the whole filming exercise a solo effort, which on occasions prompted a range of bad language, and required the acquisition of new skills with a previously untried editing package.

But that's another story ........ !!
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Beautifully modelled and beautifully filmed Geraint

All the Best
Danny

Kos

Postby Kos » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi Geraint
What a delightful experience it was to watch your video - many thanks for sharing this. I'm familiar with the area, having spent many hours and weekends there between business trips or spending time before boarding at Esbjerg. The atmosphere was wonderful and nicely complemented by the background information.
I'm guessing you will have been to the National Railway Museum at Odense, with its interesting stock, locos etc. as well as film and archive material.
Best wishes, Stuart

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Stuart,

Yes I've spent many hours at the museum in Odense, as well as on some of the preserved railways in Jutland. I now have a reasonable collection of books to draw inspiration from. Reading these has become easier as the years have progressed. If you read Danish you can spot the roots of some English words. However, speaking it is something different. My spoken vocabulary is rather railway oriented as a consequence!

If you want to find out more about the layout, I have a long running thread on RMWeb at

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... broen-p87/

Danny,

Thanks for your kind words and more importantly thanks for organising today and prompting me to learn a new skill in video production. Whether it will ever be used again is open to question!

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

Postby 45609 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 am

Great video Geraint. Love the whole layout and perfect commentary to draw the watcher in. 15 years very well spent by you and all that have been involved.

All the best...Morgan

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks Morgan. Much appreciated.

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:20 am

Great video Geraint. Obbekaer has come a long way since you started on the buildings - when was it that I first saw them? at the Watford show in the mid 90's with Middlepeak?

Best wishes

Robin

Return to “Layouts”