Drighlington & Adwalton

mervynb

Drighlington & Adwalton

Postby mervynb » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 am

What a sumptuous layout! Terrific video. Is there a model 8 year old boy anywhere? Faultless running, wondering how wagon shunting is accomplished as it looks like 3 link coupling throughout - breathless realism

Mervyn 7215

DougN

Re: Drighlington & Adwalton

Postby DougN » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:27 am

Have to agree this is something very special. I am part way through watching the video at the moment. :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Bellerophon

Postby Bellerophon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:37 am

Absolutely wonderful! Brings back many memories; I saw many of those trains pass my bedroom window, especially the Braford/Kings Cross portion and WDs hauling 16t minerals. Interesting to hear about the banking engine from Ardsley. I can remember seeing light engines going down to Ardsley. Now I know why. Thankyou Steve.

Drighlington

Postby Drighlington » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi Howard
Good to hear from you.
I have some WTTs and a set of Wakefield district loco diagrams and this shows there were quite a few rostered light engine moves between Bradford, Ardsley and Wakefield for both passenger and freight locos as well as the banking engines.
Cheers
Steve

Bellerophon

Postby Bellerophon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Steve,

Thankyou very much for the presentation. I used the society/"ottawa" tie bars on my exactoscale turnouts, following your article in MRJ. How did you connect them to the tortoise motors?

Thanks, Howard

Drighlington

Postby Drighlington » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:21 pm

The tortoise motors are mounted below the baseboard and operate a below baseboard crank. This crank is fixed to a vertical shaft which pivots in a tube through the baseboard to a scale crank (Ambis) above the baseboard which in turn drives a horizontal rod which is connected to the "Ontario" stretcher bar on the point.
I used the same method on Halifax King Cross, only I used Fulgurex point motors on that layout.
If I was starting again I would use servo motors to drive the points, but still link them through a crank to the point stretcher bar.
I cannot abide trackwork which has two great big holes under the switch blades!
Hope this helps you.

Cheers

Steve

Bellerophon

Postby Bellerophon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll use that next time. I used exctoscale adaptor plates below and a rod up to the tie bar. It works but a bit of a bodge!

Cheers
Howard

Drighlington

Postby Drighlington » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Howard
Yes, I should have mentioned that I too used the Exactoscale Tortoise adaptor plates to connect the tortoise motors to the under baseboard crank.
I had to replace the Tortoise operating wire with thicker (0.9mm) steel wire in some cases to get sufficient throw of the switch blades.
Steve

Return to “Layouts”