Postby Neil Smith » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 pm

Thank you Vincent - that is very clear!

All the best

Neil

vdebode

Re: De Graafstroom - OntraXS!

Postby vdebode » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:53 am

Hello all,

Sadly enough we don't dare to come with De Graafstroom to S4um, to much unknown things with rthe customs. We had loved to come!
Next month De Graafstroom will be exhibited in the Netherlands, so we erected the layout to see if everything still functioned well. Because the layout is a bit unconventional constructed we made a time lapse video from it. Of course we made mistakes with the video and the space on my attick is a bit cramped, so some things aren't visible and we forgot to start the camera when dismantling, sorry. :(
Hopefully it gives some discussion.
The link to the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUr4iHX28U

Regards,

Vincent
Vincent de Bode
De Graafstroom, P87 cape gauge
Builder of Flintfield, P4

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:39 pm

Fascinating Vincent! There's a lot of ingenious design there to match the high standard of the modelling. I noticed a pair of legs and a clipboard at the back of the picture during the assembly - was that the "time and motion man"?!

Look forward to seeing you and the team next month.

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

vdebode

Postby vdebode » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks Geraint! Yes you made a good observation, with three doing things, matters? could get a bit confused, sometimes we had to go back some steps. Now one of us, with the storyboard in his hands :D, is doing some coordination. Its a hobby........

Hope to see you at Dordt In Stoom ( Dordrecht in Steam) DIS.

Vincent
Vincent de Bode

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:29 pm

Ingenious and fascinating, that must be the fastest erection and dismantling of a layout ever seen :D

Robin

vdebode

Postby vdebode » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:48 pm

Hi Robin,

:lol: :lol: We are now able to dismantle it to take coffee and than erect again ....

Vincent
Vincent de Bode

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:09 pm

Very interesting watching (time lapse is always fun!)
The support struts look very light weight but the bracing clearly works. I like the way the bottom box acts as a base and locator for the struts.

I look forward to the next chance to see it in the flesh in the UK.

Thanks

Andrew

vdebode

Postby vdebode » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:12 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your nice comments. About the support struts, they are light, but only loaded (charged?) in pull or tension, I tried to make only triangles. Halfway I put 3.5mm ply strips between the two "legs"against buckling. This gives a very stiff and robust supporting structure.
klein20180213_123530.jpg

The legs which support the rear (only scenic) board, just take the weight of it, which is only a few Kg.
I used more or less the same supports with Flintfield and because I had some doubts I gently pulled myself up under the layout :D and that didn't collapse! Also the baseboards are very light, which is also nice to handle them. I have to carry the baseboards from the attick down and aftre an exhibition up again, weight is than important to avoid damage.

Vincent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vincent de Bode

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:54 pm

Thanks for the photograph Vincent. I must confess to having used the pause button on the video to try and work out how it is all done!

I really like the lightweight design - the legs seemed to me to be too narrow and spindley to support it but as you say, you have designed it to be lightweight (transport and getting it down from the attic).

I also like the way the second board adds depth. I certainly haven't thought of that - it's always to tempting to fill any space with track!

Andrew

Return to “Layouts”