Southwark Bridge Layout

ted.stephens

Southwark Bridge Layout

Postby ted.stephens » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:11 am

If anyone has questions about the Southwark Bridge presentations - please post here.

mervynb

Re: Southwark Bridge Layout

Postby mervynb » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for preparing the presentations Ted. I have watched the first one and it brings back happy memories of the day I was honoured to spend at one of the operating days. For those that haven't seen the layout in the flesh, I can assure you it is jaw-dropping, the standard of modelling across the layout is superb, and sheer amount of stock in the fiddle yard.... well, words fail me!

Mervyn 7215

Mark-Leigh

Postby Mark-Leigh » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Absolutely Magnificant
Including Pheonix Gas Works

Mark

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:30 pm

There is a lot to view, the four video's that we're hosting last altogether for over an hour, but don't be put off, believe me it is well worth investing the time to do so.

The scope of this project and it's execution are staggering and the videos have been superbly filmed, narrated and produced by Ted.

Don't forget everyone, that none of the show content is being taken down after the show and will continue to be available to view in the future, so if you haven't had time to watch everything today you can catch up at anytime that suits you.

All the Best
Danny

Petri Sallinen

Postby Petri Sallinen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:49 pm

Thank you so much for very comprehensive presentation. It took time to see all your videos but that was worth on.

Petri Sallinen
Helsinki, Finland

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:11 pm

Have so far only viewed the first two videos, but greatly enjoyed them both. Especially so the second one which is giving me much food for thought about aids to operators on our much more modest Burnham layout, where the fiddle yard that is the 'power house' for the operating sequence needs speedy and accurate operation to simulate 'off scene' activity on the Evercreech-Burnham line and correct reproduction of the engine and carriage working diagrams. Good to see such attention being paid to such operational matters.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive presentation. It took me back to a fabulous day out and visit to help operate your layout with members of the Glevum area group some years ago and being entertained by Henry!
I have just looked at your youtube presentation of the gasworks. I must contact you about the construction as I am now tempted to produce one of the gasholders that were behind Bristol Barrow Road shed even though I have told members of our area group there is no way I am going to make one. You may have changed my mind!

Robin

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:42 pm

I only had time to view the first video, and found this layout really impressive.

I understand that all this material will remain available on the Society's website (?) so I shall make a point of looking at the other three videos.

iak

Postby iak » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Fascinating stuff.
I need a period in a dark room :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 pm

martin goodall wrote:I only had time to view the first video, and found this layout really impressive.

I understand that all this material will remain available on the Society's website (?) so I shall make a point of looking at the other three videos.

I can assure everyone that all of the show content will continue to be available into the forseeable future.

All the Best
Danny

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Been fascinated by how this layout would develop since seeing early pictures in the Scalefour News in the 90s. Beautifully crafted. Many thanks for putting these videos together and sharing your creation.

ted.stephens

Postby ted.stephens » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 am

barrowroad wrote:Thank you so much for such a comprehensive presentation. It took me back to a fabulous day out and visit to help operate your layout with members of the Glevum area group some years ago and being entertained by Henry!
I have just looked at your youtube presentation of the gasworks. I must contact you about the construction as I am now tempted to produce one of the gasholders that were behind Bristol Barrow Road shed even though I have told members of our area group there is no way I am going to make one. You may have changed my mind!

Robin

If you want I am happy to share with you a copy of the drawings and CAD files for the gas holder model, these are in MicroStation format. Likewise any of the other CAD models created for the gasworks.

It was always Henry Bousher's wish that the gas holder should operate, i.e. go up and down depending on demand, linked to time of day and the timetable. Sadly the 3D printed model proved to be too delicate to do this.

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 am

I've watched all 4 videos late into last night and a very impressive and inspiring layout. I particularly appreciate the attention to detail regarding operation and adherence to the WTT and marshalling. This is reinforced by the time period modelled (1912) for which no contemporary memory exists and relies on researched data. I only wish I had 40ft to build a layout in.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 am

Ted, Thank you for your kind offer to share copies of your drawings and CAD files, I would like to accept the offer. How would you like to get in touch?

The two gas holders at Barrow Road are shown in this rather poor quality photo of mine, dominating the skyline at the rear of the shed.
Shed from Coaling Tower.jpg

The smaller of the two is similar to the ones near St Pancras presumably as they are both near Midland railway property? The larger is huge and of later origin.

Fray Bentos - Never re-attainable.jpg

Are you able to point me in the right direction to add research on these two gas holders.

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ted.stephens

Postby ted.stephens » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 pm

For anyone interested in the Phoenix Gasworks I have posted the information that we collected together including research, photos and CAD models to Google Drive for you to download and use as you wish. The CAD models (.dgn) are in MicroStation format.

The link is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GaxdNSuf1dYZ36m5U8jWYheX1CING2Tt?usp=sharing

Robin - Both your gasholders look like vertical lift types. The structure for the larger one is similar to the one modelled on Southwark Bridge so it may be useful to look at the drawings and model in Large Gas Holder folder.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:04 am

Thanks for your presentation I really enjoyed viewing it. I will have to watch them again to take in more of the information etc. The only problem I have is why doesn't my layout look like yours. LOL.

All Best and Keep Safe

Dave

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi Ted, Thank you for the Gasworks information, much appreciated.

Robin

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:36 am

Just had the time to start catching up on the virtual Scaleforum and WOW, there is some excellent modelling and attention to detail. The research into this must have been considerable.

Thanks

Phil.

ted.stephens

Postby ted.stephens » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:05 am

A new website has been built for the Southwark Bridge Layout and can be found at:-

https://www.southwarkbridgelayout.org.uk/

This gives access to the videos published for Virtual Scaleforum 2020 plus other videos relating to particular topics such as the Gasworks. There is also a section for Downloads where you can find documents, drawings, photos and 3D models mentioned in the videos.

This site will be updated from time to time as new material is produced.
Last edited by ted.stephens on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Layouts”