VIRTUAL SCALEFORUM & SCALEFOUR NORTH

Allan Goodwillie

Re: VIRTUAL SCALEFORUM & SCALEFOUR NORTH

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:19 pm

My son Dave and I had a very enjoyable outing to Scalefourum this year,First time in years that I was not involved with any layout or doing some demo or other. Did not have to drive about 800 miles over the weekend to get there either, and an excellent show all in all, with still a few nooks and crannies to find even yet! We would like to thank everyone who was involved with the organisation and set up of all this, quite a task in itself. I know from a friend that there has not been much feedback to him personally up until now, but that is the difference between an actual exhibition and one done over the internet. We have a zoom meeting coming up next weekend and I am sure that he will get some good responses then. We also missed meeting up with other friends that we meet only during this one weekend, but you can't have everything.

It was still a very good show - but as far as I know no competitions this year, am I right about that?
Again well done everyone!

Allan and Dave Goodwillie :D

smiths

Postby smiths » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 pm

I want to give my thanks to everyone who was involved in organizing the Virtual Scaleforum. It was a terrific collection of useful and interesting information and videos, which will take me quite a while to absorb. As a USA-based member of the Society, I don't very often have the chance of attending the events in the UK, although one year I did manage to get to Scaleforum North. I am so impressed by the effort you all went to, creating such an event - thank you.

Steve Smith

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch the virtual scaleforum yesterday. Will the videos remain on YouTube for a while to catch up on what I missed?
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 pm

kelly wrote:Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch the virtual scaleforum yesterday. Will the videos remain on YouTube for a while to catch up on what I missed?

They will be permanently hosted by our YouTube channel, and linked from the show website.

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:11 pm

John McAleely wrote:
kelly wrote:Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch the virtual scaleforum yesterday. Will the videos remain on YouTube for a while to catch up on what I missed?

They will be permanently hosted by our YouTube channel, and linked from the show website.

Thanks for that clarification John.

Will look forward to catching up when I can manage it.

Kelly
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:30 pm

Can existing members get hold of a snazzy wagon kit? I've never seen it listed in the stores. 8 hours watching the storeman and I couldn't think to ask...

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work in making the virtual Scaleforum happen.

Lots of inspiration and plenty of helpful hints gained on a number of topics.

Well done all and let’s hope we can have an actual Scaleforum next year.

Jeremy

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:39 am

Thank you to all involved in putting together last Saturday’s event. A lot of time, thought and effort. I especially liked the visit to layouts which will not be leaving home for various reasons.

I found all the demos I attended interesting. Don’t know if I’ll consider using dexion for a layout. I spent twenty years wrestling dexion to built research rigs in the lab until we found Bosch Rexroth. The number of clothes I ripped on dexion..... but a good solution for a base of a permanent layout, the cable trays - now that was getting too close to the layout equivalent of a busman’s holiday.

Need to find some down time soon and look out old articles on the Central Cheshire to find out when Don Rolland replaced the layout MPD he had modelled in the 70s.

Many thanks to everyone again.

Regards

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:22 am

Bernie wrote:Can existing members get hold of a snazzy wagon kit? I've never seen it listed in the stores. 8 hours watching the storeman and I couldn't think to ask...

Hi Bernie,

I only had chance to dip very briefly in and out of Jeremy's demonstration on the day of Scaleforum. So it's from reading the postings about it that I believe he was building a Morgan AA13 underframe for a GWR brake van.

That's available from the Stores, as is the rest of the Morgan underframe/kit/detailing range. You'll find them about three-quarters of the way down the webpage. The AA13 one is coded WH4570.

HTH,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:48 am

David B wrote:Click on what? There is nothing here that indicates there is any link. It could have been made to look different to everything else on the page so that it was clearly a link and not ordinary text. I thought it was a heading as did other people. You knew it was there which is why it was obvious to you. This is what I was referring to when I said it is all too easy to assume everyone has the same knowledge as you because you are familiar with whatever is there.

Links are usually distinguished by being a different colour, underlined, or both. It could have been made larger or even had text added saying 'Click here to enter the Virtual Scaleforum'. A special button could have been made - anything which made it obvious there was a link.

Agree entirely; it is an absolutely basic aspect of good web design for links to be clearly identifiable as such.
Regards
Noel

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:00 pm

I do have to agree that there is no way of identifying the bare title as a link, and I spent some time hunting for a link before I found the clue in this thread, and then successfully clicked on the hidden link.

Return to “Virtual Scaleforum”