Brettell Road

Will L

Re: Brettell Road

Postby Will L » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm

jim s-w wrote:... I have a thing for stations with much longer platforms than the trains that serve them. ...

I do agree, looks so much better. Platforms which barely fit the trains that use them is a modern accountant driven thing.

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:07 am

Jim, looking fantastic. I would love to see the whole thing in its entirety one day. Might be a bit before I get back to the UK.

One thing on electronic drawings etc. is they have to be truly representative of what is made. I say that as I have a new project at work where I had to have a meeting this morning to be told that there was nothing to hold up 2 light weight columns!... So as we were onsite my comment was "why don't we go and do a double check?" Only to find they were supported by concrete slabs and the top restrained by another concrete slab!

(I must admit I would love to have access to a laser cutter like that! I have contractors at work who have full CNC routers who probably would cut things for me but the ability to cut and mark the way Tim's machine does!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:53 pm

Been busy doing the fiddly bits of track for Brettell Road part 2.

Ok, this is just a B9 on a slight curve, not exactly fiddly.

This is a bit more entertaining though. Ive tried a slightly different approach from my usual norm by using more copper clad and building more in situ than i usually do.  I normally build the crossing assembly away from the layout but decided this time to only assemble the vees themselves remotely. I think its a bit quicker and allows a little more wiggle room doing it this way.

The view from the bridge.

No matter how designed you think something is theres always some tweaks needed when you see the thing in the flesh.  I never noticed how the 2 vees had ended up virtually on top of each other.

You can see here how the middle road has been realigned.  The original alignment showing through under the sleepers.

Another tweak is the position of the signal box.  I don't think I fully took into account the curve and the sighting lines are worse than I thought they would be where I put it originally.

By moving it to to the other platform and along to the left a bit the sighting lines are much better.

So the signal box will go here instead. I will need to move the steps to the near end an I plan to fit deeper windows so that it more like a type 3 box.

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:39 pm

looking very good Jim.
Is there a track plan for part 2?
Apologies if I've missed it!

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks Andrew

Hopefully this will work but this is the track plan for the whole layout. The new boards are on the left.

Jim

brettell road complete track plan.jpg

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:40 pm

Reminds me of Tyseley for some reason.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:29 pm

With the track and wiring done on Brettell Road part 2 thoughts have turned to the landscaping of the yard.

Before I could start on the yard I needed to get the road in as this will need to be blended into the yard. The parts for this were cut out at Tim's but I did add a layer of 1mm balsa to the road and sanded a camber into it.   The thing with laser cutters is they are so neat.  By using 2mm mdf for the pavements i could carve away some of the slabs to make it all look a bit more scruffy.  I also cut a few of the slabs out completely on the laser so that I could add plasticard instead and do a couple of raised slabs. Brettell Road is set well before the 'where theres blame theres a claim' culture.  I guess people back then just looked where they were going or called themselves an idiot if they ended up on their backsides!

This is my nod to Brierley Hill's level street. Which if you've ever been there, is anything but level!  At the bottom is a now abandoned level crossing (the real Level street had 2 that were part of the Round Oak system). The line it was on now forms the back siding.  The road will need more work yet and weathering but this was far enough to let me move to the yard.

I've never done inlaid track before and, added to the bright idea to have different levels, I figured the easiest way would be to infill the gaps with layers of balsa The top layer is 1mm thick and is glued to various different shapes underneath as I didn't want it to be all that flat. The infill in the track is 1.5mm balsa as I figured a half mill difference between the surface and the rail would aid track cleaning and wouldn't be noticeable.  I used track pins to hold it all together as well as PVA. Incidentally, I think this was the first time I've ever brought track pins!

Despite my half mil' gap idea i was still a little concerned that track cleaning would result in patches of nice fresh wood showing through. So rather than paint I decided to stain the wood black.

Time for another new (to me) product. I've used 2 colours of 'mud' from WWS Scenics. Peat and dark brown. These are like a very smooth liquidly filer.  I used the peat first with the dark brown over the top. Applied with a plastic spatular and then stippled with a large brush. Ive also added some tire marks and a light sprinkle of chinchilla dust while it was still wet.   More to do to it yet but I'm pleased with how it's coming along so far.  Lets just say the yard at Brettell Road was somewhat agricultural!
https://www.wwscenics.com/product/model-muds-100ml/

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 pm

This post kind of jumps around a little but lets start with a simple wagon as we've not had one of those for a while.
LMS diagram 1973 mineral wagon. These were a little odd as they had no end doors just side ones. The model was created by splicing 2 sections of the Dapol (ex Airfix) mineral wagon body together and mating the result with a Parkside 12 ft wheelbase chassis. The W-irons are Bill Bedford, door springs Rumney models and buffers from Accurascale.

Both the real Brettell Lane and Round Oak stations had central supports under the bridges.  As this will be right at the end of the layout, under a bridge and in the dark I didn't feel I had to go mad as a silhouette is pretty much all thats needed. The main pillars are actually nothing more than a couple of Hornby gradient supports spliced together.

I mentioned in a recent post that i needed to reverse my signal box so the steps are at the opposite end.  Thats ticked off now and the results can be seen above.  To see the original build click here. https://p4newstreet.com/getting-the-most-from-older-models/

Moving back to the layout itself the much modified Airfix crane has now been planted and the yard track has been ballasted and suitably 'neglected'.

Overall view of the yard so far.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:43 am

A brilliant paint job on the signal box Jim. The peeling paint and stained roof capture the look of such things perfectly.

Terry Bendall

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:16 am

jim s-w wrote:LMS diagram 1973 mineral wagon. These were a little odd as they had no end doors just side ones.

That's because they were built as loco coal wagons. At some point they would have gone into general traffic and lost the branding, presumably during the1960s. The side stanchions were tapered at both top and bottom, and between the tapers were "H" shaped. There was also an external "L" angle on the lower half of the corners, apparently attached to the ends but spaced off the sides. Later vehicles were built like this; the earlier ones were altered to match soon after construction. The only photographs I have of them in BR days**, from 1962 and 1971, with one other dated as post 1968, show the modified stanchions and corner bracing still present. Presumably the original design was regarded as being insufficiently robust.

**LMS Wagons Vol. 1, R J Essery, p163-4 and Pre-Nationalisation Freight Wagons on British Railways, D Larkin, p11 (some are actually D1974, but the diagrams are identical, apart from the use of copper bearing steel for D1973 and wrought iron for D1974).
Regards
Noel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks both

I probably should look at getting a new copy of LMS wagons vol 1 as mines falling to bits! :?

Return to “jim s-w”