Re: 1980's cars and other road vehicles

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun May 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Just some of Brettell Road's vehicles.

Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm

A couple of AEC products this time

A very brief history

AEC (or Associated Equipment Company) was a fairly early producer of vehicles being founded in 1912 and lasting up until 1979. Initially focusing on buses their first prototype commercial vehicle was based on a bus chassis but with the outbreak of the first world war they were ideally placed to produce lorries for the army. After the war lorry production continued right up until the companies last days.

In world war 2 they produced something like 10,000 vehicles for the war effort and readers familiar with Airfix kits have likely come across the Matador model at some point. the company acquired a fair few other companies during its time with Crossley Motors, Park Royal and Thornycroft being just a few of them. They were taken over themselves in 1962 by Leyland Motors.

Leyland fitted their own 'Ergomatic' cabs to the AEC line of lorries but they retained the AEC branding. So Ercomatic is a type rather than a model covering Madator, Matador, Mercury etc (the lorry models always began with the letter M).

The Models</strong

So the victims both picked up cheaply from ebay. On the left Atlas editions and on the right from EFE. Both are similar in a way. Both have nicely done cabs with rather rudimentary bodies and slightly odd looking wheels. The proportions of the Stobart example look a little odd as well.

Having looked at pictures of the real things I decided to shorten the chassis and tipper body. The ribs were beefed up a little and a new hood fabricated from plasticard. The hydraulic ram came from my spares box.

The livery was stripped form the cab (as its all metal nail varnish remover is ideal for this and the wheels replaced with some from RTI. Below shows the model after painting and weathering.

The body on the Mammoth was metal and to be honest I'm not sure what its supposed to represent. I think it's some sort of pressed steel effort but I binned it and made up a new one to represent a planked body instead. The strapping is from the mainly trains etch.

I decided to keep the livery on the cab this time and just gently sanded the sign writing off. Wheels again are from RTI. The usual matt varnish and light weathering finish it off.

Jim Smith-Wright

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Sat May 09, 2020 6:03 pm

That's captured the look of an ergo cabbed truck beautifully. The cabs were supplied by Sankey, a rather more basic version used on Albions; the central window in the back of the cab and sound proofing being amongst the options. AEC's were often said to have thinner steel used than their Leyland brethren. A version was used on the experimental Leyland gas turbine powered truck. One tenuous link to railways, the seats came from Chapman who have supplied many seats in modern units.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 am

Lets start with the humble Austin Maxi. A recent-ish release from Oxford Diecast. My first impression was 'they have used their oversized tyres again but on looking at the real thing I think what threw this one off was the track was too wide with the wheels filling the arches much like a more modern vehicle. So with the track was slight reduced, inner window frames picked out in black. matt varnish and weathering I can call this one done.

Added a bit of a load to one of my smaller trucks. The wheelbarrow is a nice 3d print from 3D Printing Corner. (http://www.3dprintingcorner.co.uk)

One of my early kit builds that has never been quite right is this Volvo from a Knightwing kit. Its always looked out of proportion to me so I have had another look at it.

I binned the chassis and used a spare from one of the cheap Atlas Stobart models you can find on ebay. for the cab itself I cut about 2mm out of the width. I am happier with it now.

Back to the new. The trailer that came with the chassis used on the Volvo was stripped and resprayed. I used a different tractor chassis and a cur down Base toys roadtrain cab. The windbreak is also a spare from an Atlas ford cargo.

I came across this livery while looking at old shots of Brierley Hill for Brettell Road. I thought it nice to tie the 2 layouts together a little. The logos were drawn up in illustrator and printed on crafty transfer paper.
Jim Smith-Wright

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:37 am

Lovely work as usual Jim. Interesting that you printed the logos on crafty transfer paper. Were these the white paper or transparent? Did you use an inkjet or laser printer? If the latter how did you fix them before using? Thanks, A.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks andy

I used the transparent paper for these. Inkjet printer and sealed with a few coats of matt varnish (army painter) before use.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:01 pm

O.k. thanks. Again, superb models Jim.
A
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Jim, lovely vehicles as always.

I see you mentioned Army Painter spray varnish. I can’t get my previous preference, Citadel Purity Seal, any more, and web searches for it keep coming back to Army Painter. How do you get on with it? And does it give a dead matt finish or is there a sheen?

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:43 pm

Hi Philip

It’s dead matt. I’ve never had any problems with it.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Thanks Jim,

There were some dodgy reviews on some sites so thought it best to check with someone who has experience of our sort of stuff. Now ordered and recovering from the price and shipping costs!

Philip

David B

Postby David B » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Testors Dullcote is excellent and cheaper.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:53 pm

I like Dullcote, but have found it difficult to obtain by post at times. It also has a pungent odour which I am none too keen on.

Philip

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:33 am

David B wrote:Testors Dullcote is excellent and cheaper.

Eh? Dullcote is £7 for 85ml. Army painter is £8 for 400ml
Jim Smith-Wright

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:04 am

Apologies. I must have been looking at a different sites. I saw prices of £10+ for Army painter and £7 for Dullcote and similar volumes.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:54 am

I did pay £10 - odd for Army Painter (But still a large can) and almost half as much again for shipping, so maybe I just didn’t find the right site! Where do you get yours Jim?

Philip

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:49 am

Normally here

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/spray-pr ... esults=267

Currently OOS. I normally buy them in 2s or 3s

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Yes, thanks JIm.

Philip

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 pm

With apologies to those coming here to see trains road vehicles are still drawing my attention. This time let's start with some Leyland products.

The Leyland roadrunner (1984 version). A combination of cab and wheels from Road transport images, chassis from the Atlas stobart ford cargo and a body from scratch.

Next up a terrier in post office colours. Although a 70s design these seemed to last quite late. Again RTI cab and wheels, base toys this time for the chassis and the body from scratch.

The tail lift is an approximation from a photo I found years ago and kept in my 'that might be handy one day' folder.

Sticking with the post office. I did this Roadtrain cab years ago and never got around to the trailer. the source is the Atlas curtain sided one U used last time for my Link51 lorry. This time with the sides replaced and modification to the leading end. It was a faff to cur the old sides away so I would just scratchbuild the box next time...

... which is what i did for this smaller version. Again the tractor unit was finished off years ago although I have recently replaced the wheels with RTI ones.

Overall I have put together quite a fleet of Royal Mail vehicles now.

Next time...

More Atlas Stobart vehicles are lined up for the chop at Jim's Dodgy Car and lorry dealership. 'lovely little runners, one careful owner, service history? It's ok - you don't need one of those!!'
Jim Smith-Wright

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:22 am

So when you want to model a road+rail parcel depot ....

All very nice Jim. What is the source of the transfers please?

Terry Bendall

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:So when you want to model a road+rail parcel depot ....

The plan was to include the one at curzon street

All very nice Jim. What is the source of the transfers please?

Terry Bendall

Modelmaster I think. Fox N gauge for the smaller versions
Jim Smith-Wright

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:09 am

jim s-w wrote:Modelmaster I think. Fox N gauge for the smaller versions

Thanks Jim

Terry Bendall

David B

Postby David B » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:59 pm

Transfers for earlier period GPO and Royal Mail are, it seems, available from John Day Models along with vehicles. See: http://www.johndaymodels.co.uk/our-models/gpo-vehicles/

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:16 pm

Last time I ended with a selection of Eddie Stobart vehicles that looked somewhat nervous, not without good reason.

The simple (or should I say least mauled) option from these is shown on the right. Basically a simple repaint with a new headboard (is that what they are called?) of the DAF 2800 tractor. On the right the same cab mated with the chassis of the much out of period volvo unit. The fuel tank and other chassis details were cut off and transferred over as well.

The left over chassis was mated with an old KeilKraft (now Knightwing) Mercedes cab. Like the Volvo mentioned in an earlier post it was reduced in width by about 3mm.

Finally the tipper truck (the same base model that I have cut about previously) was mated with the Daf 2200 cab and chassis to produce yet another variation. I shortned the body on this one as well but not by as much as my AEC blue one.

In all the vehicles that have logos these were drawn up in Illustrator and printed on Crafty computer decal paper.
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Been busy knocking up a few more trailers.

Starting with this offering from Knightwing. Although the cabs they supply are to a slightly larger scale the trailers, or at least this one, is pretty much spot on for 4mm scale. I changed if from a 3 axle type to 2 axles and fitted some spare Base toys wheels but that was pretty much it.

This 40ft flatbed is something I've had for a while. Its from RTI, brought when Frank was still with us. It's a somewhat basic kit with just the bed, bogie and wheels supplied. The rest is knocked up from bits and bobs.

When I built my last batch of tractor units I printed enough registration plates for the trailers too. Do you think i can find them now?
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:47 pm

A few more vehicles for New Street, starting with...

The VW beetle (this is probably asking for trouble!)  Both from Oxford Diecast.  On the left I filed off the canvas roof and filled the back window to make an earlier oval window version. This is based on the actual car that a chap I used to work with owned but he did a load of modifications to it not long after he found it in a barn.  On the right a 'cal-look' version. I ground of the bodyside trim and that on the bonnet off as well as filling in the holes for the bumpers.  The front suspension has been lowered and on the back some wheels from a Cararama Porsche.

Long time followers might be aware of my liking of the good old Mk2 Transit.  My small fleet being a combination of ABS bonnets and Corgi bodies.  However now theres Tiny City.  A Hong Kong company that does MK2 transits ready to plonk. All of far eastern prototypes and mostly bus type bodies (they do a handy looking ambulance by the way).  This one was stripped and re-liveried into British Transport Police livery. My liking of the mundane is pretty well obvious by now however the BTP offices were at  New Street station in the 80s and there was always a police vehicle or 2 parked at the station.
Jim Smith-Wright

Return to “jim s-w”