Brassmasters j17 Test build

jim s-w

Brassmasters j17 Test build

Postby jim s-w » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:40 pm

Over the last week or so Ive embarked on another test build for Brassmasters. This time a J17 kit thats been designed by David Barham. Its not really any use for Brettell Road but it would fit North Elmham (which I have been know to help out with).

The basic chassis build with a High level Loadhauler gearbox.  The loco and tender use CSBs throughout. The kit will be supplied with both printed and etched brake shoes.

The tender subframe - Again with options on the brake shoes.

Chassis and footplate.

Tender with its outer frame.

The cab

Pretty much everything above the footplate and forward of the cab is catered for by a 3D print.  Here I've made a start on the basic detailing

The tender body, like the loco, is a 3D print.

The detailed up chassis

The finished loco - More pictures below.  This has been a pleasure to put together.

Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

garethashenden

Re: Brassmasters j17 Test build

Postby garethashenden » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:42 pm

Brake shoe placement is something I always struggle with. Too many degrees of freedom. 3D printed ones sound like an excellent idea!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:44 pm

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:11 pm

That looks like an excellent kit, assembled with a high degree of skill. Yet it looks like a much less-skilled modeller stands a good chance of succeeding with it.

I fully agree with Gareth on the brake shoes. They might lack some of the finesse of etchings, but equally etchings can sometimes look a bit scanty. It will be interesting to see what they look like when painted and weathered.

Given the struggles I have had with the traditional etched shoes where there seems to be a lack of any solid ground until the job is almost done, the printed jobs look like a welcome alternative.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:12 am

I have thought about this on and off. This is what Kits should be moving towards I think. Thin sheet for the edges and 3D parts for the solid shapes. This takes the best from both worlds. The only issue I could see is getting enough weight hidden in the loco to achieve a good haulage. I don't think RTR could get to this level of finesse for the thin edges but the modellers skill will still come into the actual assembly and finishing.

As an aside the idea of 3D printing could allow more specific loco production. for example I am reading "A celebration of Gresley A1 and A3"
https://strathwood.co.uk/products/a-cel ... s=e&_v=1.0

One note is the bottom of the firebox on the North British built locos has a distinct "kink" in the lower edge which is almost parallel with the vertical section of the cab. This extremely subtle difference could be picked up in a 3D print and extremely difficult thing to get right in a modifying a kit.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:39 pm

Highpeak wrote: Yet it looks like a much less-skilled modeller stands a good chance of succeeding with it.

Oh absolutely. Its a credit to the designer
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Return to “jim s-w”