Large goods sheds

Inside the fence.
smyles

Large goods sheds

Postby smyles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:27 am

Please can anyone help with information about large goods sheds with two roads for inward and outward (transit?) traffic in urban areas. Plenty of photos and information on branch line goods sheds for 3 wagons or so but not on larger ones. Photographers seem to like to photograph station buildings/platforms, usually with a train obscuring interesting details, and engine sheds but not goods sheds. Some layouts I have seen (eg Clarendon) have the type of facility I am looking for so there must be details available.
Thanks,
Mike

newport_rod

Re: Large goods sheds

Postby newport_rod » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Mike,
Try

Wild Swan's G.W. Goods Services series By Tony Atkins and David Hyde and
Cardiff Newtown Goods Depot in the 1950s by Stan Vickery in Issue No.23 - June 2009 of Railway Archive

Cheers
Rod

smyles

Postby smyles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks Rod for the reference to GW Goods Services. I will try and get it through the Public Library. I didn't know about this book as I always ignore anything GWR but it may be useful to me.
Cheers,
Mike

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:08 pm

I well understand your sentiments Mike! :D

Wild Swan's G.W. Goods Services is in fact a series of books, the latest of which (which I haven't seen yet) covers Cardiff and a few other large facilities.

Railway Archive is a magazine that would set you back £7.50 (and may not be available from your local library).

Cheers
Rod

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:35 pm

There are a number of articles on goods sheds /depots on the Midland/LMS in Bob Essery's 'Midland Record' You can find contents lists here http://www.midlandrecord.com/ and I have some of them on sale in the Members' sales section of this forum.
http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=549#p4059
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Railway Buildings”