Bridge Stonework for West Pennard

Inside the fence.
RAO

Bridge Stonework for West Pennard

Postby RAO » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:37 pm

I'm trying to find suitable embossed plastic card to make a bridge [see attached photos].

Approximate 9" per coarse [worked out from brick repairs].

The stone work is neither random or smooth. I've looked through the Wills and Slater range, the nearest I can find is Slater's Plastikard 0415 but that 7mm scale which is no good.

Thanks for your help.
West Pennard Road bridge east side.JPG

West Pennard Road bridge west side.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nberrington

Re: Bridge Stonework for West Pennard

Postby nberrington » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:23 pm

The flexible version isn’t made anymore but you could try this:

https://www.walthers.com/cut-stone-reta ... -1-x-8-9cm

RAO

Postby RAO » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Thanks
Do you know is any model shop in the UK might stock it?

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:54 pm

Faller 170602 Mauerplatte Naturstein-quader in 250 mm x 125 mm embossed card sheets might suit at € 1,79 a sheet.
There is a link here https://www.huenerbein.de/modelleisenbahn-Z/faller-landschaftsbau-f4/faller-170602-mauerplatte-naturstein--a55.html to a German model shop in Aachen that sells it (with mail order available) and other similar sheets. It should be possible to find a UK stockist as well.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:27 am

Worth noting that Faller catalogue item 170602 Mauerplatte, Naturstein-Quader is the ashlar version of this sheet, and differs from item 170603 Mauerplatte, Naturstein, which represents a rougher cut of stonework that may be more appropriate for this bridge. Another possibility that looks like it might be worth considering is item 170617 Mauerplatte, Basalt. All can be seen at https://www.faller.de/gb/en/Products/Track-gauges/H0-selection/Scenic-modelling/Arcades-decorative-plates.html. A possible online UK source is https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/railways/view-all/?search_query=&page=1&limit=80&sort=newest&brand=257&Scale=HO%20Gauge&min_price=0&max_price=5&category=377&is_category_page=1

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:17 am

RAO wrote:Thanks
Do you know is any model shop in the UK might stock it?

I just put "Faller 170602" into ebay and Jadlam Racing, a UK model shop, came up:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332871242730 ... Swapdb4x8w

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:22 am

The alternative of course is to scribe your own stonework and in the past that was the only way to do the job. A base of something like hardboard, rough side outwards and a coat of plaster or a filler such as Polyfiller and then go from there. The picture below of part of the model of Pulborough is not very good and the model was made a long time ago, from memory about 1988, but it works and was made using this method. The brickwork is hand scribed styrene Doing your own scribing allows what is on the prototype to be matched.

Terry Bendall

pulborough road bridge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 am

A variation on the scribing by hand method, this time using styrene. The basic framework is built up from 40thou plasticard and the individual stones are then laid with 40thou thick Evergreen strip in different widths. Finally, the individual stones are distressed with a scraper board tool to create some relief.

20210615_182805.jpg

Work in progress on the bridge for my Friden CHP layout.

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

RAO

Postby RAO » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:14 am

Thank you for your responses.
Sadly I'm limited with time to scribe plaster or to to individual stones from plastic card, although that is the route I might have to go down.
But in the meantime I've ordered Faller sheets 170602, '603 & '617 just to see which is the closest to what I'm looking for.

Winander

Postby Winander » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:21 am

The wall along the top seems to me to be different as the courses are a uniform height.

It seems to be expensive stuff, I found this supplier that has the three variants listed above. Minimum order is £10 but I didn't discover what the postage charge was.
https://www.osbornsmodels.com/faller-170602--wall-board-natural-stone-ashlars-16626-p.asp
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:24 pm

Bearing in mind that the stonework on the bridge at West Pennard was laid in regular courses, the most practical way of portraying this may be by the method shown by Geraint Hughes this morning. However, if R ONeil is prepared to compromise a little by using the randomly coursed stone portrayed by Wills, this can be made to look less chunky by rubbing it down, as described by David Cox in an article in Railway Modeller in January 2006.

I used the same method when making an overline bridge for the Burford Branch (as shown here):

IMG_6250.jpg

Wills also produce a regularly coursed stone sheet, although I don't know whether the size of the stone courses would match those of the bridge at West Pennard. This type of Wills scenic sheet wouldn't require any rubbing down.

RAO

Postby RAO » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:03 pm

Unfortunately the stone on the bridge is regular varying depth coursed but dressed and not smooth, as can be seen on the abutments.

Wills do an excellent 7mm but the 4mm looks too flat!

Anyway I've ordered some SSMP202, so lets see how it looks in the flesh!!!

I must admit its times like these that you really miss railway exhibitions and all the lovely trade stands, plus looking at other peoples layouts and picking their brains.

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:11 pm

I've used the following ABS sheet from Green Stuff World for my Cheddar layout. It's the closest thing I've found for Mendip limestone.
https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/textured-sheets/155-abs-plasticard-smooth-rock-wall-sheet-a4.html

It's available on line from a Spanish supplier

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:20 am

Not sure it would be exactly what's needed for the West Pennard bridge, but I quite like the look of the Rough Rock Wall also marketed by Green Stuff World (https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/textured-sheets/154-abs-plasticard-rough-rock-wall-sheet-a4.html).

RAO

Postby RAO » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:12 pm

I agree with you John, but the coursing is too big almost the same as the Slater's 7mm sheet sadly!

RAO

Postby RAO » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 pm

Thanks Andrew.
Lovely bridge but the coursing is too random.

Return to “Railway Buildings”