Goods Sheds and Warehouses

Inside the fence.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Goods Sheds and Warehouses

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:00 pm

Paul Bartlett just offered this link on RMweb.
I thought it deserved copying here.
I have something to read now.
https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/railway-goods-shed-and-warehouse-in-england/the-railway-goods-shed-and-warehouse/
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

tmcsean

Re: Goods Sheds and Warehouses

Postby tmcsean » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:51 pm

As you would expect from English Heritage. it's a very nicely printed book, and I've enjoyed thumbing through it.

Tony

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:18 pm

Interesting, especially some of the historical photographs, but I couldn't quickly spot any background information on goods traffic on the railways which might have helped explain why goods' sheds developed in the way they did. A long draw out explanation wouldn't have been needed but the common carrier obligation, the fact that the long distance carriage of (non-mineral) goods suddenly mushroomed in the 1870s and that prior to the Edwardian era most goods traffic was conveyed in (tarpaulined) open wagons (hence the in-shed cranes) all played an essential role in the development of railway goods sheds and warehouses. Roader sheds get a mention without it seemingly being recognised that they played an essential role in the conveyance of passenger-rated traffic even though they were also used for goods-rated smalls.

One very surprising error in an Historic England publication was the description of the Southern Railway's 1930s large but utilitarian goods sheds as being constructed of corrugated iron - they were in fact steel-framed structures clad in corrugated asbestos.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:56 am

This is great, thank you. Actually has a picture of the shed I'm building at the moment!

Nick Allport
CLAG

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:14 am

I have not got the actual book but am aware of it since it has come up in searches on the topic. It is certainly very useful.

bécasse wrote:I couldn't quickly spot any background information on goods traffic on the railways which might have helped explain why goods' sheds developed in the way they did.

Bob Essery's book Freight Train Operation for the Modeller (Ian Allan Publishing) is useful on this aspect.

Terry Bendall

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:Bob Essery's book Freight Train Operation for the Modeller (Ian Allan Publishing) is useful on this aspect.

There are quite a number of books which contain useful information, although far fewer cover the historical aspect, but a few relevant paragraphs, probably less than a couple of pages at most, would have made this book a far more complete study. I might not have expected it from a commercial publisher but from "Historic England" ........

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:10 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Paul Bartlett just offered this link on RMweb.
I thought it deserved copying here.
I have something to read now.
https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/railway-goods-shed-and-warehouse-in-england/the-railway-goods-shed-and-warehouse/

I've downloaded and saved the PDF.

And then went and ordered to book itself, for just over 13 quid. Whilst I appreciate the convenience of the electronic version (and particularly being able to zoom in on pictures, like that aerial one of Bristol city centre), there's nothing like browsing through a book in your hands :-)

Thanks Keith!
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun May 17, 2020 10:53 am

Thanks for that link, looks very interesting.

The photo of Alne goods shed on page 10 has to take the top prize for 'Best Disguise!'.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun May 17, 2020 10:56 am

I've got this book Tim (bought from Simon's bookshop at the last Larkrail) if you want to borrow it sometime.
Rod

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:I've got this book Tim (bought from Simon's bookshop at the last Larkrail) if you want to borrow it sometime.

Thanks, that would be great.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Return to “Railway Buildings”