early platform height?

Inside the fence.
jon price

early platform height?

Postby jon price » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Can anyone tell me the height of platforms in the pre-grouping period before they were raised to the current standard? My standard sources (LNWR Portrayed etc) don't seem to have this information
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

allanferguson

Re: early platform height?

Postby allanferguson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:00 pm

There wasn't a standard, but many early platforms were much lower. This picture, taken about 1900, shows a station built in 1847. In this location, as in many others, the platform was raised later, but they couldn't raise the bit with the buildings on without unacceptable expense. There are still a few such stations around today

Allan F

Up Side Shelter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:46 pm

The platforms at Newton St Cryres are about 2ft 6ins or thereabouts, it's been a long time since I visited the Beer Engine, it's definitely quite a climb back in after a few sherbets.

Phil.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 pm

If you know where to look many stations still have the old lower platforms still there. Worksop and Shireoaks (MS&LR) both show evidence of rebuilding to current levels and Derby (platform 1) still has the NMR stone platform included beneath the newer bricks. I'm sure there are plenty of others but they are generally a foot lower. Smaller stations had even lower platforms.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Railway Buildings”