Platform clearance

Inside the fence.
barhamd

Platform clearance

Postby barhamd » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:19 pm

The digest 62.0 gives the minimum clearance rail centre to platform edge as 4'9" = 19mm. The digest also shows the current requirement for a 1' overhang on the platform edge.

What was the deal with early platforms which were just vertical with no (or minimal) overhang?

I'm trying to work out how far the wall of the platform needs to be from the track centre line for my model of Clare.

IMG_6387.JPG

Any advice welcome

thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Re: Platform clearance

Postby DougN » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:50 am

David, can you advise of where that platform is... as it will give a good idea of the changes over time! :)
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 am

That does look like a photo to be a bit wary of - the mortar between the bluebrick bulls (and, indeed, the stretchers below them) seems very recent, so I suspect the platform edge had a fair amount of 'tidying-up' sometime after the tracks were lifted. Overhanging edges do represent an ongoing maintenance burden (he says with some feeling, as two Spanish Water Dogs continue their efforts to break all the projecting tiles on his front terrasse, either by jumping on them or ripping them up with their leads).
David L-T

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 am

David referred in his post to a model of Clare [on the Cambridge-Colchester line, now closed and part of a country park]. Photographs of the station when in use show that the platforms are probably still more or less as originally built http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/clare/. I presume that, where not slightly recessed, as part appears to be, the platform faces were built to the 4ft 9ins dimension for the full height, or something very close to it. Certainly the post closure colour photograph shows very little clearance between the platform face and the ends of the sleepers. The vital distance is between the train and the platform surface, which would have to be reasonably consistent for all stations, whatever was done about the support for the platform, and cannot have changed much over time without affecting the clearances.
Regards
Noel

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:50 am

Doesn't this image from 1959 suggest that there was originally an overhang of sorts? Looking at the original posted image there would also appear to be a corbelling out?
clare(jmc_c1959)old9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Lee

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Yes, that overhang is about 2-3 inches max.
The platforms have received some re-pointing post closure but are still basically original.

David

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Brick built platform edges like this were a common GER feature, certainly on the Stour Valley line. The amount they were corbelled out seems to vary, some rather more than Clair, a few seemed to have been totally flat though angled back slightly.

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Tim

At least you are not trying to model the Maryport & Carlisle Railway.
The six foot goes down to four foot in places! Even to this day it is still causing problems as in some places trains are not allowed to be in the same section as there is not enough clearance.
Further south at Whitehaven Bransty tunnel, coaches that have opening windows, especially drop down ones at doors, have to have bars fitted to stop people putting out their heads as there is not enough clearance between wall and the stock and they could get decapitated!
I'm working on a model of Aspatria in 'O' gauge. The tracks under the bridge have to be narrowed and the platforms will be as shown in the photograph.
Philip
Aspatria Station in colour 12370966_10153749540428638_3686391558269383110_o.jpg

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:02 am

Ahh, missed the Clair bit! (should read more closely...) I find it interest in that the corbel of the bricks appears to be on the stretcher side of the brick, So the max that this really works is only 2in unless they have had specials made of double width bricks (Ie 9in x 9in) There is not really a give away as the bricks appear to be the same colour and shape. Blowing up the photo, the corbel is laid in a stretcher bond with a header course above. Then the blue capping bricks/ pavers above. I bet the brickies would have cursed at those as they are whoopers, so would have been heavy to lay.

looking very closely there is a makers stamp on the head of the caper to the far left, only half is in the photo though.I could not spot any further marks in the photo for the rest. There is also a chris cross pattern on the top face.

I have spotted around Melbourne (Australia) brickwork in the 1900's can have beds and purps of down to 1/8in (Ok the church (1919) I renovated was this!) This is difficult to patch and repair, I know I practically employed a bricky for 6months doing it!. As this was the thickness of the diamond blade to remove the halves and replace!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:54 am

DougN wrote:looking very closely there is a makers stamp on the head of the caper to the far left, only half is in the photo though

Yes, I noticed it too. I haven't been able to trace the mark on the internet, but I think it's from Wood and Ivery, Albion Brick Works, West Bromwich.
Regards
Noel

barhamd

Postby barhamd » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Yes those platform edging bricks were real beasts!
IMG_6385.JPG

I got the 3rd baseboard cut over the weekend and the cork underlay cut and marked up today. I've gone for making the underlay edge through the platform 20mm from the centre line, I reckon that should be about right.

IMG_6431.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

Once I've got the eastbound platform laid I'll be able to play at reversing trains into the yard!

David

Return to “Railway Buildings”