LSWR Buffer Stops

Inside the fence.
ben mason

LSWR Buffer Stops

Postby ben mason » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:32 pm

I have just finished a buffer stop scratch built from code 75 using a Mikes Models kit as a template. Happy with the result, but I'm struggling to find a good LSWR period photo to give me the right scheme for painting. Does any one know what's correct pre-grouping? I'm guessing the white-red-white stripes thing is a Southern Railway thing.

tommallard

Re: LSWR Buffer Stops

Postby tommallard » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:39 pm

These images are a bit scarce, but from my observations made of photos in the Wild Swan LSWR Locomotives books, the wooden part is white with a 3" (or thereabouts) stripe of red across the front face. Ironwork/rail part of the stop is painted black.

It is also the way the buffer stops are painted on Martin Finney's Semley model.

Best regards

Tom

ben mason

Postby ben mason » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks Tom, I'll go ahead with that colour scheme!

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:34 am

Tom's information is corroborated by the HMRS Livery Register for the LSWR and Southern (pub. 1970), which says that the earliest photograph then found of the white-red-white horizontal stripes dates from c.1905. "...the rest of the stop was usually black."
This picture shows the seaward end stop blocks at Burnham and dates from 1935.
Burnham top stop block 1935.jpg
Note that the entire wooden beam is painted white, with the red stripe carried round end of the beam, and not of the same width as the adjacent white stripes. This may have been a bit of an oddity because I suspect the rear faces of most stop block beams were painted black, along with the steelwork. Possibly this picture should not be relied upon too much as guide to LSW practice, being of S&D blocks in Southern days, but may be of some interest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Railway Buildings”