Meldon Viaduct

Inside the fence.
JohnGowers

Meldon Viaduct

Postby JohnGowers » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi,
I would like to build a smaller version of Meldon Viaduct when it was first built in 1874 as single track. Does any one know whether there has been an etched brass/plastic kit made of it. As this I think is unlikely any suggestions of kits that could be adapted or failing this were I could obtain some plans so that I could get some etchings produced. My final option is to scratch build from photos but I already have a headache and modellers block!!
Cheers,
JohnG

Guy Rixon

Re: Meldon Viaduct

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:27 am

I've seen some elevation drawings of the viaduct, in a museum I think, but I can't remember exactly where. You could contact the Museum of Dartmoor Life in Okehampton to see if they have anything.

There are period photos of the viaduct in one of the Railway Archive issues.

Sorry this is only semi-useful.

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:44 pm

The question about a kit has been asked before in another place: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35239. It seems that the answer is "no".

Some drawings: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3979394.

HTH
Regards
Noel

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:14 pm

JohnGowers wrote:Hi,
I would like to build a smaller version of Meldon Viaduct when it was first built in 1874 as single track. Does any one know whether there has been an etched brass/plastic kit made of it. As this I think is unlikely any suggestions of kits that could be adapted or failing this were I could obtain some plans so that I could get some etchings produced.
Cheers,
JohnG

Hi John,

Have a word with Alan Austin at Worsley Works, if you can get a decent drawing of one of the piers and a span, he might be able to etch you the parts provided he can add them to his range. He did some special windows for me recently at very reasonable cost and beautifully etched.
Steve

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:04 am

Point of information: Alan Austin is Ambis, Allen Doherty is Worsley Works!

Chris

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:01 pm

OOps! :oops:

Yes it was Ambis Engineering who did my work,

Senior moment.... :-?

Steve

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:48 am

John,

you may also consider getting the viaduct parts laser cut in Rowmark by Jonathan Buckie of Clockwork Ideas (a member of the South Hants group).

When I designed the LNWR covered footbridge components for London Road, Jonathan did the layout for the cutting which made life easier. Rowmark is easier to paint than brass and works better in my view for structures. Although a type of plastic, cyano glues seem to work best with it.

If you do go down the Laser route don't go for ply, the grain is difficult to hide under the paint.

Jol

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:45 am

Having been to Meldon several times, I am following this thread with interest. Etching looks to be OK for the trusses and the bracing of the piers, as that is flat or "L" shaped, but the main pillars of the piers are round. They appear to have been cast as segments of a circle, with flanges which were then riveted together. The effect is like a pipe with external stiffeners along its length. Possibly a case for resin casting rather than etching?

https://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/dartmoor-railway-2014-meldon-viaduct-granite-way1.jpg

http://www.southdownswalking.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Yes-Tor-Meldon-Viaduct-55-e1446031168808.jpg
Regards
Noel

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Having seen the photos in the links in Noel's post, then etching would seem to be the way to go.

Alternatively don't bother and model something from a railway whose engineers took model railway builders into account when designing their infrastructure.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Wow, no straight forward viaduct. Without detailed drawings I would say you will not be able to consider scratch building, have etches or castings produced, of which you will need all.......would certainly make an interesting and challenging project though........you would need to see the drawings (courtesy of Noel's link) held by the National Archives and get copies or make detailed notes...........are you not up for a challenge Jol?......... ;)
Rob

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Rob,

I enjoy a challenge (isn't that what we all do modelling P4) but when the letters G, W and R are involved I choose not to get involved.

Jol

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Rob,
Its JohnG who is in for this particular challenge!
Jol,
The initials in this case are L, S, W, R although I don't suppose you like them any better. :)
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Slightly OT, what is the state of Meldon Viaduct these days? There was talk of the route forming part of the Dawlish avoidance strategy, but the condition of the viaduct made it unlikely.

Steve

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:33 am

Kieth
grovenor-2685 wrote:Rob,

Yup I know.....it was Jol's comment I was referring to........ ;)
Jol Wilkinson wrote:Alternatively don't bother and model something from a railway whose engineers took model railway builders into account when designing their infrastructure.

Rob :)

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:34 am

steve howe wrote:Slightly OT, what is the state of Meldon Viaduct these days? There was talk of the route forming part of the Dawlish avoidance strategy, but the condition of the viaduct made it unlikely.

Still standing, but now part of a cycle route:

http://www.visitdartmoor.co.uk/things-to-do/the-granite-way-cycle-route-p250623

I seem to remember [it's a long time ago] that there were comments about the state of the viaduct when the Okehampton - Bere Alston line was closed. I think the viaduct may also have been the reason why spam cans were allowed west of Exeter, but rebuilds, officially at least, were not.

I have no knowledge of the condition of Meldon viaduct, but this style of construction, with open metal piers, was rare, and does not seem to have lasted as well as brick or stone piers. Belah and Deepdale in the Pennines had weight restrictions applied in their later days, and Crumlin in South Wales gave cause for concern as early as the 1920s, which caused it to be changed to single track, although it then survived into the 1960s. All three gave rise to stories of noticeable movement under the weight of a train, and were demolished after closure.
Regards
Noel

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Some of these metal viaducts were built precisely because they were flexible. Bennerley Viaduct near Ilkeston was built across some very boggy ground and was effectively designed to float. It still stands today, despite the GN line from Nottingham to Derby having closed many years ago.

http://bennerleyviaduct.org.uk/

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:41 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Rob,
Jol,
The initials in this case are L, S, W, R although I don't suppose you like them any better. :)
Regards

Thanks Keith,

my mistake. I have a much more positive view about the LSWR and have even got a Chiver's LSWR van kit in my to do pile.

My "difficulty" with the GWR is the often arrogant attitude of its supporters. That, coupled with the media's belief that there was only one Victorian railway engineer, the self publicist I. K. Brunel.

I am also now concerned that John Gowers may have become confused over the those initials, as I have long known him as a modeller of the LNWR and we need all the support we can get.

Jol

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:
My "difficulty" with the GWR is the often arrogant attitude of its supporters. That, coupled with the media's belief that there was only one Victorian railway engineer, the self publicist I. K. Brunel.
Jol

I have the same affliction........as an ex full member of the Guild of Railway Artists I just took exception to the 'pretty way' that the GWR was portrayed by so many artists (without naming names).....on selection panels I always voted no to anything GWR........ :cry:
Sorry, we seemed to have hijacked this thread with GWR stuff.........but going back to one of my posts I do find this intriguing and if any drawings can be gleaned (if only in a simplified form) I may well be able to assist with pattern making such as the re-inforced tubular structure and produce moulds.
Rob

Weskie

Postby Weskie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:57 pm

I am also now concerned that John Gowers may have become confused over the those initials, as I have long known him as a modeller of the LNWR and we need all the support we can get.

Jol

I think we have got two John Gowers !
Andy Westcott

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:23 pm

I reckon doing Meldon in etches would be many hundreds of pounds.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 am

Noel wrote:Having been to Meldon several times, I am following this thread with interest. Etching looks to be OK for the trusses and the bracing of the piers, as that is flat or "L" shaped, but the main pillars of the piers are round. They appear to have been cast as segments of a circle, with flanges which were then riveted together. The effect is like a pipe with external stiffeners along its length. Possibly a case for resin casting rather than etching?

https://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/dartmoor-railway-2014-meldon-viaduct-granite-way1.jpg

http://www.southdownswalking.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Yes-Tor-Meldon-Viaduct-55-e1446031168808.jpg

Bear in mind that Meldon is two viaducts intertwined. The original viaduct was for single track and a second set of similar, but not identical, piers was added when the line was doubled.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:I reckon doing Meldon in etches would be many hundreds of pounds.

It would probably weigh many hundreds of pounds too ;)

Does anyone know which company provided the bits, or who the consultant architect was? Bennerley and Meldon are the only 2 of that kind of construction still in existence. If Meldon has anything in common with Bennerley, then information about Bennerley might be useful. They have a manager (Bill Tomson) responsible for its history and conservation. He has built up quite a lot of information about the structure and its construction. He did guided tours of it on the National Open Day Weekend recently.

Return to “Railway Buildings”