GWR lock-ups

Inside the fence.
steve howe

GWR lock-ups

Postby steve howe » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm trying to find a suitable store building for a small rural GWR goods yard which might not have warranted a full-scale goods shed.

The sort of thing I have in mind is a standard corrugated iron lock-up shed parked on the loading bank. Stephen Williams says the standard dimensions for the larger arc-topped sheds were 14' x 8' and 20' x 8'. The photo in Great Western Branch Line Modelling Pt2. shows one under the footbridge at Thame. However I wonder if this might still be a bit small for my purpose. Does anyone know of a source of drawings or at least dimensions for such structures? I have an idea the GWR had a design for a lorry (or bus) shed which might fit the bill.

Thanks

Steve

Simon Glidewell

Re: GWR lock-ups

Postby Simon Glidewell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Hello Steve,

I don't have dimensions but these might be useful from the Fairford branch? The first is at South Leigh and is a typical small GWR structure:-

http://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =670&h=349
http://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/20 ... jpg?w=1112

The other is at Witney and is much bigger (the corrugated iron building); this was built on the old original Witney Railway station platform and had rail loading facilities on the other side:-

http://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =670&h=228
http://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =670&h=399
http://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/20 ... s_1979.jpg

Cheers
Simon

David B

Postby David B » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture, Adrian Vaughan, has a Standard Warehouse diagram on p363. The building is 40' x 20' set up on timber trestles. I think there was one similar at Hemyock. A larger version was 60' long.

p422 has a diagram of the 'Standard Galvanised Lock Up Hut'. This measures 14' x 8'.

Let me know if you would like a scan.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks Simon for those images, the Fairford example looks like the 20' standard version, which may yet prove to be suitable, presumably as Williams says, these buildings tended to grow organically as need demanded, so a selection of tin huts may be the answer.

David, thanks for the pointer, I blush to admit that Great Wester Architecture is probably the only standard GWR reference I don't have on the shelf, so an order has gone off to Amazon!

Thanks again

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Here is a drawing of my own measurements of Camerton Goods Shed, plus as an added bonus,the platelayer hut at Southstoke.
Camerton Goods Shed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Corker :D

Thanks Tim :D :thumb

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Just thought, a picture might be useful, in case you don't have any of Camerton.
Camerton 1975 46-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for that Tim, its interesting to see (assuming the shed is still in its original position) how close it is to the edge of the loading bank. I'm guessing the track passed by on the side we are looking at?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:51 am

Yes
Tim V

steve howe

Platelayer's hut (wasGWR lock-ups)

Postby steve howe » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Now the lock-ups have been resolved (and some have even got built!) can anyone suggest a source of dimensions for the classic GWR platelayer's hut? I'm thinking of the sleeper-built type with the sloping monopitch roof and the brick flue at the rear. Found plenty of pictures but no measurements, Vaughan shows a few in GWR Architecture, but there are no drawings.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:23 am

The Cooper Craft kit is so close that it isn't worth scratchbuilding.
Tim V

Postby 37431 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:37 am

Like all "standard" designs there are some variations on the real thing. Tim notes that the Coopercraft kit can save you some work, and I thought this would be the case for my own layout based on Tettenhall on the Oxley - Kingswinford Jct line in Staffordshire. However the hut at Tettenhall has the window in a different position and the chimney stack at the rear, rather than on one side as in the Coopercraft kit. It also had a lean-to addition on one side to store tools and materials etc. So I'm scratchbuilding mine, but used some of the Coopercraft items including the nicely moulded chimney.

Steve asked about dimensions - I found that the Peco Publication EricPlans - GWR and LMS Buildings and Structures has 4mm scale drawings for 2 huts, at Andoversford and Dunster respectively. It also shows that the GWR had both apex and pentagonal roof types (to use garden shed terminology). If you want copies Steve, send me a PM and I will scan the relevant pages for you as I think the book has been out of print for many years.

Andrew Bannister

Return to “Railway Buildings”