GWR Ground Frame Buildings

Inside the fence.
jayell

GWR Ground Frame Buildings

Postby jayell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Toller station on the long closed Bridport Branch had a couple of building on the Bridport end of the platform. One being a lamp hut and the other the 'building' containing the "Toller East Ground Frame" There was also a Toller West groundframe, I have no idea if this had a similar building but it is described as a "two lever covered ground frame" in the diagram on page 166 of the Bridport book.

've only found a few pictures of these buildings, one is on page 92 of "The Bridport Railway" which shows it as being a timber building with a least two windows, sited over the tunnel containing the rodding and the others are the first & second photos in this link:-
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/toller/index.shtml, which are also in the book.
The lamp hut remained long after the ground frame was removed so appears in more recent images.

There were also a couple more buildings which could have been for platelayers and the like across the track at the Maiden Newton end of the platform but I've found no good pictures of them so modelling them will be guesswork.

Does anyone know if there are published details of this type of building, ie lamp huts and Ground Frame 'huts', in the absence of any actual details I shall have to estimate the size of these building when I get around to building the station

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: GWR Ground Frame Buildings

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:41 pm

johnlewis wrote:Toller station on the long closed Bridport Branch had a couple of building on the Bridport end of the platform. One being a lamp hut and the other the 'building' containing the "Toller East Ground Frame"

Does anyone know if there are published details of this type of building, ie lamp huts and Ground Frame 'huts', in the absence of any actual details I shall have to estimate the size of these building when I get around to building the station

Hi John,

The standard reference work for GWR buildings is Adrian Vaughan's "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture". It's a chunky tome, but contains a wide range of photos and diagrams.

Lineside huts, including lamp huts, start on p.419. I can't quickly find a picture of a ground frame hut, but that's not to say that there aren't some in there.

Highly recommended as a permanent addition to any serious GWR modeller's library. My copy has been repeatedly browsed in the 25 years or so that I've owned it...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:11 pm

You could visit the museum at Winchcombe, or the narrow gauge railway at Toddington, both have examples of GF huts.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
The standard reference work for GWR buildings is Adrian Vaughan's "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture". It's a chunky tome, but contains a wide range of photos and diagrams.

Lineside huts, including lamp huts, start on p.419. I can't quickly find a picture of a ground frame hut, but that's not to say that there aren't some in there.

Highly recommended as a permanent addition to any serious GWR modeller's library. My copy has been repeatedly browsed in the 25 years or so that I've owned it...

Cheers
Flymo

There are 11 copies available in the UK from ABE Books, prices ranging from £18 to £35 (plus p&p) and 13 on Amazon, £19.50 to £173.86 (+ £2.80 p&p)

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm

> The standard reference work for GWR buildings is Adrian Vaughan's "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture". It's a chunky tome, but .
> contains a wide range of photos and diagrams.

> Lineside huts, including lamp huts, start on p.419. I can't quickly find a picture of a ground frame hut, but that's not to say that there aren't some in
> there.

> Highly recommended as a permanent addition to any serious GWR modeller's library. My copy has been repeatedly browsed in the 25 years or so that
> I've owned it...

I'd love to buy a copy but having just today ordered track bits and pieces to the value of £70 I daren't spend any more this month, SWMBO doesn't know how much I have spent but will no doubt ask when the stuff gets delivered ;)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:28 pm

johnlewis wrote:I'd love to buy a copy but having just today ordered track bits and pieces to the value of £70 I daren't spend any more this month, SWMBO doesn't know how much I have spent but will no doubt ask when the stuff gets delivered ;)

Well, as it was published in 1977 and is still going strong, there's no rush to acquire a copy...

And with all of those track bits arriving, I'm sure that you'll be too busy over the next few weeks to move on to the matter of building buildings.

Have fun and if you have any questions when the track stuff turns up, you know where to ask...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
johnlewis wrote:I'd love to buy a copy but having just today ordered track bits and pieces to the value of £70 I daren't spend any more this month, SWMBO doesn't know how much I have spent but will no doubt ask when the stuff gets delivered ;)

Well, as it was published in 1977 and is still going strong, there's no rush to acquire a copy...
And with all of those track bits arriving, I'm sure that you'll be too busy over the next few weeks to move on to the matter of building buildings.
Have fun and if you have any questions when the track stuff turns up, you know where to ask...

I will try the public library to see if they can find me a copy somewhere in Somerset.

As for the track I am going to use C&L stuff so will be threading lots of two bolt chairs on to steel rail sections before fixing them to Timbertracks GWR 44' 6" panels. Since I don't plan to have a working layout I don't have to worry about electrical continuity so may just go for cosmetic fishplates.

It seems that the GWR used 2 bolt ones in this area and that there are surviving ones at Maiden Newton, so will have to take the camera there weekend after next when we have to go dog-sitting for a few days in Dorchester.

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:24 pm

You could try the BRMNA Drawing index to see if something of a similar type has been covered in the model press. According to that there was a 'Guide to Drawings of Railway Structures (GWR)' in the May 1983 Model Railway Constructor so a copy of that might be helpful.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:39 pm

You could try the BRMNA Drawing index to see if something of a similar type has been covered in the model press.

this is the website - http://brmna.org/xrefs.shtml
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Natalie Graham wrote:You could try the BRMNA Drawing index to see if something of a similar type has been covered in the model press. According to that there was a 'Guide to Drawings of Railway Structures (GWR)' in the May 1983 Model Railway Constructor so a copy of that might be helpful.

Thanks Natalie, I have tried accessing brmna.org but had no success so far. I will look for a copy of the MRC you mention. I was pleased to find that there are 6 copies of the book that was mentioned earlier in Somerset so have put in a request for it. I wasn't so lucky with the 'Great Western Way' as there don't seem to be any reservable copies locally.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:43 am

johnlewis wrote:Toller station on the long closed Bridport Branch had a couple of building on the Bridport end of the platform. One being a lamp hut and the other the 'building' containing the "Toller East Ground Frame" There was also a Toller West groundframe, I have no idea if this had a similar building but it is described as a "two lever covered ground frame" in the diagram on page 166 of the Bridport book.

There were also a couple more buildings which could have been for platelayers and the like across the track at the Maiden Newton end of the platform but I've found no good pictures of them so modelling them will be guesswork.

John,

In 'GW Branch Line Termini Vol. 1' by Paul Karau has are drawing of the signal box (which looks like the Toller ground frame), lamp hut and platelayer's hut from Watlington.

My copy of the book, originally from OPC, was published in 1977 but was subsequently re-printed as a combined vol. 1 & 2.

Return to “Railway Buildings”