GER (Norfolk) single arch under bridge

Inside the fence.
Tim Horn

Re: GER (Norfolk) single arch under bridge

Postby Tim Horn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks Trevor and Martin :)

Trevor, the edges are the result of the taper that you can't really avoid whilst cutting though the mdf. All of the above are pre-production models, I adjust the drawings to the thickness of the mdf which will tighten up the tolerances a bit more. The problem with using sheet material is that it's hardly ever the same thickness. anything over 0.1mm variation starts to look a bit iffy on the interlocking bricks if I haven't adjusted accordingly, once painted up properly though it isn't noticeable.

Martin, the platform walling I've done in sections which can join. It's the end result of engraving the area before cutting the mortar lines in. The edging bricks are just a fine cut.

I will be selling all components and buildings in the near future, as my current job has come to and end and this is far more exciting and rewarding! . . :)

Cheers
Tim

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Trevor Grout wrote:
been trying to convince the domestic godess that I should get a cutter, she has not said no, but then again she has not said yes either.... :shock:

I follow with interest.

regards

Just tell her it's to personalise your roast potatoes :D

Lasered Potatoe TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 am

Very nice indeed Tim. As a matter of interest, and as a former resident of Worthing, which crossing gates have you done. There were two, one over South Farm Road, just to the west of the Central station and one over Trarring Road, just to the east of West Worthing station? Both sets may of course been the same.

Terry Bendall

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 am

Terry Bendall wrote:Very nice indeed Tim. As a matter of interest, and as a former resident of Worthing, which crossing gates have you done. There were two, one over South Farm Road, just to the west of the Central station and one over Trarring Road, just to the east of West Worthing station? Both sets may of course been the same.

Terry Bendall

Thanks Terry,

Worthing, Norfolk :) Population of 40 ish, and a few pigeons and pheasants

Cheers
Tim

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:29 am

Tim Horn wrote:I will be selling all components and buildings in the near future, as my current job has come to and end and this is far more exciting and rewarding!

You can count on me being somewhere near the head of the queue!

(Maybe at Scaleforum this year? Or even Expo-EM?)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 am

Tim Horn wrote:Worthing, Norfolk Population of 40 ish

Thanks Tim. I was thinking of Worthing in West Sussex. No idea there was another place of the same name. :) Learn something new every day.

Terry Bendall

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:10 pm

martin goodall wrote:
Tim Horn wrote:I will be selling all components and buildings in the near future, as my current job has come to and end and this is far more exciting and rewarding!

You can count on me being somewhere near the head of the queue!

(Maybe at Scaleforum this year? Or even Expo-EM?)

Thanks Martin,

I'm at both, but in layout operating mode this year :) Come and have a chat and look at some bits, if I'm not swearing :D

Cheers
Tim
Last edited by Tim Horn on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:26 pm

I managed to get the second test bridge laser cut a couple of days ago, and chuck some paint on it. Still some areas to tighten up on, but I think it looks good :)

Cheers
Tim

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge 4mm TJH01 16th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge 4mm TJH03 16th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge 4mm TJH02 16th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge 4mm TJH04 16th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:16 pm

I'll be at Wakefield this weekend doing a demo on preparing laser cutting files and general experience. Come by and say hello and have a chat :)

I have a new tool in the garage and I've started to look at the core building block of most model railways . . . 8-) I'll have this and other bits on show

1200mm by 400mm Scenic Board TJH01 10th April 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Very impressive Tim. What colour paint did you use for the engineering blue brick? It captures that slightly mauve/purple tinge.

Jol

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi Tim,

A great display of the baseboard design at Scalefour North last weekend. It's ingenious and I feel that you have a real winner there.

Having seen that board in the flesh, can you remind us of what the maximum dimensions are that you can do on your new whizzie laser cutter?

Following a discussion with Allan Goodwillie and then you, I have some ideas to kickstart my entry in the Standard Gauge Workbench...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Very impressive Tim. What colour paint did you use for the engineering blue brick? It captures that slightly mauve/purple tinge.

Jol

Hi Jol,

Thank you, I always use Precision Engineers Blue first. The acrylic mortar was mixed up by myself and painted over the entire model in stages allowing time to wipe off the faces of the brick. This does change the colour of the original brickwork, but I thought I'd messed up the colour to be honest!

A nice couple of sunny pics of the bridge below :)

Nr Waltham on the Wolds scenic board build 4mm TJH02 4th March 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds scenic board build 4mm TJH01 4th March 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Very, very jealous. Lovely work Tim.

Mike

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Hi Tim,

A great display of the baseboard design at Scalefour North last weekend. It's ingenious and I feel that you have a real winner there.

Having seen that board in the flesh, can you remind us of what the maximum dimensions are that you can do on your new whizzie laser cutter?

Following a discussion with Allan Goodwillie and then you, I have some ideas to kickstart my entry in the Standard Gauge Workbench...

Cheers
Flymo

Thanks Paul, It's certainly caught peoples attention for one reason or another.

The laser bed will handle 1200mm by 900mm, and will cut up to 9mm laser birch ply which is a nice material for baseboards. I've got a lot of ideas for the future with the baseboards but I need to find a good source of the 3,6 & 9mm Laser birch ply. The prototype boards have been sent to Alan for testing over the next couple of weeks, these were made to his specification. Other modular sizes will become available other the next month or two once I'm geared up for production. Certainly makes a change from the designing buildings and structures!

This is the 1200mm by 400mm version, which has two 900 by 400 fiddleyards, either end. I expect the cost to come in at around £300 for a set of the 3 boards flat packed (1 scenic & 2 fiddle yards)

1200mm by 400mm Scenic Board with 900mm by 400mm Fiddleyard Board TJH01 16th April 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

1200mm by 400mm Scenic Board with 900mm by 400mm Fiddleyard Board TJH02 16th April 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

1200mm by 400mm Scenic Board TJH02 11th April 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Well, things have moved on since the last update.

I've now got a rental premises in Fakenham due to a very full garage and workshed. It was impossible to move due to wood everywhere for the baseboard side. This is now my main business with the model side/bespoke side I'm still hoping to get going again once everything has settled down and I've got my head around the baseboard side.

The Fakenham site now has a new toy, another laser cutter which will handle 8ft by 5ft sheet material. This will open up the curved baseboard side, and for bespoke stuff which has been my main business now for the past three months.

Once I get settled in I'll open up the offer of having visitors if anyone is interested in seeing how things work, or need training up on the use of the laser machines. With the extra space (at the moment!) I can also now offer a ready built baseboard service. Lots of bespoke board kits have been sent out to customers already, but as yet I've not had time to bring my new website online but if you are after a set of boards, chances are I've already made them!

Cheers
Tim

HPC Laser2515 TJH01 17th September 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Return to “Railway Buildings”