GER (Norfolk) single arch under bridge

Inside the fence.
DougN

Re: GER (Norfolk) single arch under bridge

Postby DougN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:25 am

Tim the windows look really good, the lintels I am not so sure about as they should go into the brickwork if they were concrete. the metal frames windows make me think of a project I was looking at a couple of years ago. All the metal frames were to be reglazed BUT the mastic/ glazing putty had asbestos in it to hold it together. It was going to cost a bomb to get the asbestos out of the 5 story building! I must have got the tender right at we missed it but came second but 300K... I have heard the company that did win it, realised part way through and tried to recover the loss through variations and any other means they could come up with... then ran over time but 6months. But back to modelling... all very convincing. Tim I think you will be onto a winner with all these Laser cut/etched buildings no doubt other people will be asking for one of your kits! :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:08 am

The lintels should overlap the supporting bricks by 6" each side

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks Lindsay, Doug and John,

The lintels, although look odd, are correct. I'm living on a housing estate which uses similar lintels, but I must confess to not really knowing how they actually support the brickwork above without resting on the windows! I suppose they must key into the inner brickwork at some point.

Bromley North Lamp Hut door end TJH01 20th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Shunters Bothy TJH01 20th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Lindsay, the laser (tube) heats up during the cutting process. I do have a cooling system but this seems to set itself to the ambient temperature of the room im in. As the laser heats up, the cut becomes weaker. At the size i'm trying to cut, any small adjustments makes the difference of the windows either fitting or looking a bit naff. I must look into getting a cooling machine which I can set the temperature at and keep all the laser settings standard.

On the planned to do list, I've a local station, and a couple of signal boxes I'd love to try. At the moment though, I've got a couple of commisions on the go, which will end up being kits as well.

Box TJH01 Spooner Row 8th November 2012 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

And measured up on Sunday . . :)

LNER Platelayers hut TJH01 20th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

County School toilets TJH01 18th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

County School toilets TJH02 18th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:03 am

I don't know how you find the time to prepare the drawings for the laser cutter, have you managed to automate drawing bricks for example and what sort of money do things like a laser cutter and a 3D drawing thingummy cost?

John

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 am

Tim I find the plate layer hut interesting as it has a new corrigated roof on top of the existing. Like a lot of bituminous roofs they break down over time. They are a bit harder to replace and the leaks are harder to find and fix. So a full replacement is always the answer. It will be interesting to see how the laser cutter goes with the precast building style. I like the look of the county school station.
Doug

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Tim Horn wrote:The lintels, although look odd, are correct. I'm living on a housing estate which uses similar lintels, but I must confess to not really knowing how they actually support the brickwork above without resting on the windows! I suppose they must key into the inner brickwork at some point.

Just goes to show, we should always model what we actually see and not what we think we know.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Absolutely Jim,

John, I suppose half the time is drawing them up. I kinda know what I'm doing now, so when I draw it all out, it should all fit together. The only automated thing is the corner brickwork which interlocks. These I just copy and paste into each course at the end of the walls. Everything else is done by hand/mouse. It can be repetitive, but most of the buildings I've done have got some non standard brick sizes in them. This is what takes up the time, it's just observation but essential.

A laser cutter can be purchased for around £1500 for a small one, and similar prices for a 3d printer.

Doug, I would say that the corrugated roof is fairly new. It's now in the hands of the Mid Norfolk railway so I'd guess they have put the top on over the old concrete roof. I'm looking forward to getting on this one as well.

I've also had a quick go at doing an open window pack. Quite fiddly to glue up, but they seem to have come out ok.

Cheers
Tim

Bromley North Lamp Hut Open window test TJH02 20th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Lamp Hut Open window test TJH01 20th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Tim, I love the long-exposure shot of Spooner Row. I know the Great Eastern was renowned for its eccentricities but a signal showing simultaneous clear and danger aspects really has to be unique...... ;)

Regards
Chris

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 am

Tim Horn wrote:And measured up on Sunday . .

The large double window in the middle of the County School building looks interesting. I wonder if it is a later addition, perhaps even done in preservation times? There can sometimes be a problem in measuring and taking pictures of buildings (or anything else) as they exist now and then making a model of the same which is set at some time in the past since things may have changed. On the Pulborough station building, which i made, there is a window which was there when we did the research in 1985, and still is, but it was not there in 1912! :cry:

johnlewis wrote:I don't know how you find the time to prepare the drawings for the laser cutter
:cry:

Learning CAD packages always takes time, but like most things the more that you do, the quicker you get. You just have to be prepared to put in the time.

Terry Bendall

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 am

Terry Bendall wrote:Learning CAD packages always takes time, but like most things the more that you do, the quicker you get. You just have to be prepared to put in the time.

I was trying to use a free CAD package yesterday but got nowhere with it. It seems I have forgotten all I used to know about AutoCAD and GenericCAD, the latter package being the one I used at work for several years. The free package is called LibreCAD which is attempting to be similar to AutoCAD but is still a 'work in progress'.

I then found that QCAD is now free for personal use and LibreCAD is based on that package so installed QCAD as it has online help which LibreCAD doesn't have as yet. QCAD is available for Windows and Mac as well as Linux so worth installing for anyone wanting to have a play with CAD.

I have decided that as all I want to do is draw up details of the Toller bridge, mainly a cross-section and location of all the tee & angle sections for modelling purposes it will be easier to use pencil and paper. Now I need a drawing board and tee-square, which of course are things I used to have once upon a time!!!

John

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 am

I once asked an architect whether the use of CAD had speeded up the design process. He said that the opposite was true - it took longer to design a building on a CAD system than it did on the drawing board.

The CAD system, however, came into its own when you needed to copy drawings (no more tracing or redrawing) and when you wanted to overlay, say, services as a separate layer - again no re-drawing.

So CAD really comes into its own if you are preparing a complex design for techncial assessment (planning applications, building regs, etc.) and for the production of various contract drawings, production of sub-assemblies, etc. etc.

But is it what you really need for a one-off hand-built model? Or is this a case of the tail wagging the dog?

It's surprising what you can design on the back of an envelope with a blunt pencil. Further sophistication can be introduced by the addition of a cheap plastic ruler (but drawing it free-hand is more fun).

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:25 am

martin goodall wrote:I once asked an architect whether the use of CAD had speeded up the design process. He said that the opposite was true - it took longer to design a building on a CAD system than it did on the drawing board.

The CAD system, however, came into its own when you needed to copy drawings (no more tracing or redrawing) and when you wanted to overlay, say, services as a separate layer - again no re-drawing.

The primary use for my work based use of a CAD package was for floor layouts in a seven storey office building, Once I had the outline of a floor set up in GenericCAD and had created a library of furniture it was easy to add furniture to a floor, move it around, switch between floors and so on. I used layers for services like telephone or computer cabling and so on.

That CAD package once set up made it simpler than having to do the same thing on the drawing board I started off with.

John

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:28 pm

John

If it's free you're after, then these 2 apps take some beating for being free...

Draft sight
http://www.3ds.com/p...e-cad-software/

Solid edge
http://www.plm.autom...lidedge/free2d/

I have used both, not as good as my AutoCAD package but then you would not expect it to be.

Mike

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:John

If it's free you're after, then these 2 apps take some beating for being free...

Draft sight
http://www.3ds.com/p...e-cad-software/

Solid edge
http://www.plm.autom...lidedge/free2d/

I have used both, not as good as my AutoCAD package but then you would not expect it to be.

I did try the Dassault Systemes one some time ago then found that LibreCad was in the Debian repository so simple to install and it automatically ends up in the Gnome Menu. So it has resided in my system for several years without me making any serious attempt to use it. QCad is closer to what I remember AutoCad worked like but that was a long time ago, possibly version 9 running on MSDOS, I still have a copy of "Inside AutoCad" published in 1988 and bought when we were on holiday in Toronto.

The copy of AutoCAD I had been given was a hacked version and didn't need a dongle so I could play with it at no cost. :D Nowadays I don't need to use pirated software as Linux provides 'good enough' software for almost every need.

John

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 am

I've spent a bit of time yesterday pulling apart the rest of the goods shed drawing. Not happy with a number of areas, but at least it all goes together and is square :)

Holme Hale Goods shed 4mm TJH01 27th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Holme Hale Goods shed 4mm TJH02 27th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Holme Hale Goods shed 4mm TJH03 27th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Holme Hale Goods shed 4mm TJH04 27th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Holme Hale Goods shed 4mm TJH05 27th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Holme Hale Goods shed 4mm TJH06 27th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

I've also managed to get the internal walls and roof done on the Mess Hut for Eastleigh, I'll try and get the doors and windows completed today.

Brick Hut Open Door TestTJH01 21st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut TJH02 21st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut TJH03 21st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut TJH04 21st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Terry, you are correct. County School station has had a number of changes over the years. It's easy to get caught out with changes and additions. One good example is my home village station; at first glance you would think that nothing has changed. When you start to look, you can see that the previous BR station was a single storey flat roof, someone added a second floor in the 1980's

Station TJH02 North Elmham Saturday 19th July 1997 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:07 pm

I've finished the prototype for the Mess hut at Eastleigh Depot for a customer, It's come out well. Need to tidy and adjust the cutting drawings a bit for a finer finish but overall I'm quite pleased with this one.

I will also be attending Scaleforum on the Saturday only, demonstrating my lasercut buildings and drawings. I'll be on the DEMU stand with some other fine modellers and demoers. Come and say hello and have a chat if you want :)

Cheers
Tim

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH01 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH02 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH03 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH04 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH06 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH05 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH07 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH08 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH09 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Eastliegh Depot Mess Hut 4mm TJH10 31st August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:18 pm

One really good reason for using the laser cutter to produce the brickwork buildings and components, is that once drawn, you can scale stuff up and down. You still need to make fine adjustments though to each set of drawings, but the hard work is done.

Apologies for not sticking with 4mm, but I know that others on here model to different scales as well ;)

A trio of scales, 2mm, 4mm and 7mm from the same drawing:

Bromley North Lamp Hut 2mm, 4mm & 7mm TJH01 29th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

2mm:

Bromley North Lamp Hut 2mm TJH01 29th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Lamp Hut 2mm cills test fit TJH01 30th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

7mm:

Bromley North Lamp Hut 7mm TJH01 30th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Lamp Hut 7mm TJH01 29th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Lamp Hut 7mm TJH02 29th August 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Just doing some testing today, I wanted to get on with the original bridge at the start of this topic. I thought I'd start with some simple under arch brickwork on the Tring cutting bridge before I move on to the skewed bridges :D

I've been messing about all afternoon trying to crack the method I'll use for creating the brickwork for under the arches. Apart from the layers being quite fragile, I think it will work quite nicely. I should be able to get the tooth effect I've been after ever since I started the GER bridge too. Just needs some careful measuring and drawing in Trubocad until it's correct. Apologies for the quality, I've messed and tested stuff on it so much this afternoon I've broken a few bricks!

Tring Cutting Bridge under arch brick work test TJH01 2nd October 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Just another test, someone put a photo of a nice little brick barn air vent on my facebook page, and I couldn't resist copying it :)

Norfolk Barn air vent TJH02 1st October 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

And another finished (almost) model of a tiny power box that sits in Tring car park. I need to do a bit of Jim's handiwork and put a scale padlock and bolt on it though ;)

Tring car park hut 4mm TJH01 1st October 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Some progress pics on Mike C's little lamp hut building, sorting out the floor and interior walls.

I've lasercut both sides of 1.5mm (ish) mdf to achieve the brickwork look.

I've also taken on board what Dave McWilliams and Brian Hanson have mentioned about recessing the windows from the back. It looks good for this building, just need to do some more fine tuning and it should be ok.

Bromley North Lamp Hut TJH01 5th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Lamp Hut TJH02 5th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Yet another one on the go (please stop me if you get bored!) Spooner Row signal box, on the Breckland line, box now closed :cry:

Spooner Row signal box shell TJH06 9th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Spooner Row signal box shell TJH05 9th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Spooner Row signal box shell TJH04 9th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Spooner Row signal box shell TJH03 9th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Spooner Row signal box shell TJH02 9th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Spooner Row signal box shell TJH01 9th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Onto a personal project. The aim for Tring is to copy the exact track plan as close as possible. Knowing that I can cover most baseboard aspects by laser cutting, I've started to think about how to relate the drawings for each of the OHLE masts which give a detailed description of track spacing and cant.

I had a quick play with using the drawings to draw out a laser cut track profile. This idea seems to work very well, I just need to now decide the best way to include the drawings into the baseboards design.

Cheers
Tim

140 69L Mast Tring TJH01 1st November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Mast G31 08 drawing & track bed test Tring TJH01 2nd November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tring track cant test TJH04 1st November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tring track cant test TJH02 1st November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Trackbed test Max the cat TJH01 1st November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Tim, it appears that the goodies Kitten Kong has escaped again by your last photo. :D
Doug

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Another couple of months have gone by, Happy New Year! and the work tables are getting untidy in the shed . . .

The old carriage wash shed (Bromley North shunters bothy) has been completed for a customer, even managed the floor and wall tiles too :)

Bromley North Shunters Bothy Test build TJH01 28th December 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Shunters Bothy Test build TJH02 28th December 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Bromley North Shunters Bothy Test build TJH03 28th December 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 pm

One bridge which caught my eye and has nearly been completed is one near Waltham on the Wolds. It goes over an old mineral line, and I loved the shape of it. Spent an hour measuring it up on the way to a friend and have managed to capture the look of it I think . . .

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge Test print 4mm TJH03 9th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge Test print 4mm TJH01 10th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge Test print 4mm TJH02 11th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge Test print 4mm TJH01 12th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Nr Waltham on the Wolds bridge Test print 4mm TJH02 12th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:42 pm

And a few bits and bobs which have caught my eye or tape measure recently . .

Tring Platform 1 building 4mm Painting test TJH02 27th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tring Platform 1 building 4mm Painting test TJH03 27th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Barnetby brick lineside hut 4mm window frame test fit TJH02 17th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Barnetby brick lineside hut 4mm window frame test fit TJH04 17th November 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Worthing Wooden Level Crossing Gate 4mm Test TJH01 27th December 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Worthing Wooden Level Crossing Gate 4mm Test TJH02 26th December 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Worthing Wooden Level Crossing Gate 4mm Test TJH02 26th December 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Basic GER Wooden Buffer Stop 4mm TJH02 3rd January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Basic GER Wooden Buffer Stop 4mm TJH01 3rd January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Gresty Bridge loco depot brick 4mm test TJH01 7th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Burton Weigh Bridge Hut 4mm test TJH03 4th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Tring old brick platform walls test 4mm TJH01 2nd December 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Platform edging bricks 4mm scale TJH02 12th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Those platform edgeing bricks are simply amazing. You should market them. I womder though looking at some of the other brickwork if you might be overcutting, the sawtooth effect kn the wall ends looks good but in many of the pictures it looks like it might match better if the cutting depth was reduced, what power are you cutting at !

been trying to convince the domestic godess that I should get a cutter, she has not said no, but then again she has not said yes either.... :shock:

I follow with interest.

regards

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Re the Tring platform wall, and the diamond-paved platform edging - Cor!!!!

Can we have more details, please? These items look amazing.

Is the surface of the bricks and the diamond-pattern incision of the paviors all reproduced by laser-cutting? This detail really is impressive.

Return to “Railway Buildings”