Midland Railway coal drops

Inside the fence.
Alan Turner

Midland Railway coal drops

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:41 pm

Whilst not common there were a few instances of use by the Midland Railway. Does anyone have a drawing or photograph of any Midland Railway coal drops.
I believe that there were some at Ilkley.

Thanks

Alan

kelham

Re: Midland Railway coal drops

Postby kelham » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi Alan

There were quite a few in the London area: Camley Street by St Pancras had lots of course, but there were other depots around the place such as Walworth Road, just down from the Elephant & Castle on the LCDR line. This latter was featured in one of the magazines not so very long ago...but I can't for the life of me remember which one! The depot lasted until the early '70s I believe.

Richard

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:13 am

Hi Alan

There are some pictures (3) of the Walworth coal sidings in the Middleton press book Holborn Viaduct to Lewisham.

Terry Bendall

Major Clanger

Postby Major Clanger » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:25 pm

kelham wrote:Hi Alan

There were quite a few in the London area: Camley Street by St Pancras had lots of course, but there were other depots around the place such as Walworth Road, just down from the Elephant & Castle on the LCDR line. This latter was featured in one of the magazines not so very long ago...but I can't for the life of me remember which one! The depot lasted until the early '70s I believe.

Richard

Midland Record, I think. Although pretty much a "London" feature rather than a "Midland" one. Also, I think the coal drops at Ilkley may have been associated with the gasworks rather than domestic coal, although I can't remember which book has the signalling diagram and photos in it.

Andrew Hartshorne

davidnuttall

Postby davidnuttall » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi Alan
The coal drops at Ilkley were mainly used for the gas works but at least one of the local coal merchants that had there own yard used them as well. There were also coal drops at Burley in Wharfedale. Both stations were jointly owned by the Midland and North Easern Railways, I suspect that the drops were built at the instigation of the North Eastern rather than the Midland.
David

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Bill Hudson's book 'Through Limestone Hills' has a photo of the ones at Johnson's siding Ambergate (which are still there if you want to measure them I believe). There might also be a drawing in there.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Railway Buildings”